Find the answer to your Linux question:
Webserver hosting is something almost every website uses. Though I, personally do not like the idea of renting a computer I can't see, isn't technically mine, and can never own. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hosting?

Webserver hosting is something almost every website uses. Though I, personally do not like the idea of renting a computer I can't see, isn't technically mine, and can never own. Any other opinions?

Then maybe colocation is for you, aka buy your own 19" server, take it to a datacenter of your choice and connect it.
    Of course, maintenance and hardware failures are then your problem, not the ISPīs.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    I have actually never heard of that. It sounds wonderful though!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, it stops being wonderful when your monitoring solution wakes you at 3:00 and the faulty machines doesnt have remote management or redundant hardware.

There are usecases for your own hardware, maybe you need a certain raid configuration for a DB machine,
    maybe you want a lot of throwaway machines for the webservers.

But hosted machines do cover quite a lot. Especially for private use and/or small companies.
    And not having to take care of them yourself and just open tickets does have advantages.
    You offload maintenance and responsibility.
    But yes, this needs a good and competent ISP.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    I completely agree. The things I run on a personal basis are not that high priority, so needing everything working 100% smoothly is not a requirement. I prefer personal control over not having to deal with the issues it brings me.

Linux Engineer
    I've been using web hosting for years. As long as you....back up your files...you're good. Website hosting is going to be much, much cheaper than renting colo space.

Backing up your files means you, yourself, downloads your files to some other location.

Just Joined!
    Yeah I have used web hosting for the past 3 years. I just don't like the concept.