Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rokytnji
I saw an advertisement for a usb dongle that gets you Internet TV and they wanted only 10 for it (the regular price is 18 which is not a great ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

TV dongles: are they Linux-compatible?

I saw an advertisement for a usb dongle that gets you Internet TV and they wanted only 10 for it (the regular price is 18 which is not a great deal either).

Usually ads for computer equipment list the system requirements for the device. This one doesn't. There is a reference to a website, but when I went there it just repeated the ad word for word, and still no system requirements.

Do these dongles work on all systems or do the advertisers just assume that everyone uses Windows?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Linux Engineer
    Maybe it plugs into the TV?

I've seen a few TV commercials for similar products. They plug into a USP port on a laptop or PC.
    I looked up the system requirements for one of them, and it requires Windows, Windows Media Player and Silverlight.

I can't remember the name of the second one that I saw advertised, but I can only assume that it has similar requirements.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

What about using XBMC for internet tv viewing?

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I saw an advertisement for a usb dongle that gets you Internet TV and they wanted only 10 for it (the regular price is 18 which is not a great deal either).

Usually ads for computer equipment list the system requirements for the device. This one doesn't. There is a reference to a website, but when I went there it just repeated the ad word for word, and still no system requirements.

Do these dongles work on all systems or do the advertisers just assume that everyone uses Windows?
    Internet TV? Through a dongle? Surely, you're in the UK, so BBC IPlayer, Sky Go, 4oD etc. cover most of the telly services, don't they? Or do you mean a DVB TV Dongle?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    Internet TV? Through a dongle? Surely, you're in the UK, so BBC IPlayer, Sky Go, 4oD etc. cover most of the telly services, don't they? Or do you mean a DVB TV Dongle?
    I have no idea how it works. But it says in the ad "Plug in this tiny USB stick in your computer & instantly bring in 2000 worldwide TV stations". There's a picture of it plugged in and it looks to be the size of a pendrive.

I'm not actually all that interested because I watch very little TV; using my computer as a computer is much more interesting to me than turning it into a TV set. But I was curious as to how the thing worked.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I have no idea how it works. But it says in the ad "Plug in this tiny USB stick in your computer & instantly bring in 2000 worldwide TV stations". There's a picture of it plugged in and it looks to be the size of a pendrive.

I'm not actually all that interested because I watch very little TV; using my computer as a computer is much more interesting to me than turning it into a TV set. But I was curious as to how the thing worked.
    I'm pretty sure no matter what, you'll need Internet service or it won't work. I would guess that it's the same basic principal as netflix streaming.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I'm pretty sure no matter what, you'll need Internet service or it won't work. I would guess that it's the same basic principal as netflix streaming.
    Pretty much. I just didn't think to put that when I listed the system requirements.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Yeah, obviously you need broadband net access - though oddly enough they don't tell you even that! I suppose everyone has broadband now if they have a computer at all. I just wonder what else you need. Normally in ads of this sort there's a little paragraph that says "System requirements: so much memory, so much free disk space, Windows XP or later or MacOS X, etc." So you know whether it's worth buying for your machine.

I assume the dongle contains some sort of driver software - you might think they'd tell you what kind of OS the driver needs and what ancillary software.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Reading this thread and seeing where it is going.

I assume the dongle contains, they don't tell you even that!,
    Down south here Hazel. The term we use for that kind of hard sell is "huckster".

Good luck with it before paying for it. I researched the hell out of this before I passed on buying it. They had a huckster sales
    pitch also. Fast and loud.
    MikeTbob likes this.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home