Find the answer to your Linux question:
For those who don't want to read the whole thing ( http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...ip-metro-suite ) here are a few quotes: "Those trying to replace the new Metro-style experiences in Windows 8 are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

A deeply sinister thread

For those who don't want to read the whole thing (http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...ip-metro-suite) here are a few quotes:
    "Those trying to replace the new Metro-style experiences in Windows 8 are missing the point. These interfaces are the future of the PC, and I feel it's better to dive right in, learn and master them, and stop pining for obsolete UI's..."

"I am frustrated and angry that so many people are so simple-minded that they can't and/or refuse to embrace this new concept and help push it to its logical success. Instead so many seem to expend ridiculous effort and energy to empower folks to stay in the old world. It's like giving vodka to an alcoholic. We need to empower the dim-witted..."

"Microsoft has ALWAYS removed features from prior versions of Windows when they're not necessary. Stop crying."

This is the kind of thing we're up against!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    "Those trying to replace the new Metro-style experiences in Windows 8 are missing the point. These interfaces are the future of the PC, and I feel it's better to dive right in, learn and master them, and stop pining for obsolete UI's..."

"I am frustrated and angry that so many people are so simple-minded that they can't and/or refuse to embrace this new concept and help push it to its logical success. Instead so many seem to expend ridiculous effort and energy to empower folks to stay in the old world. It's like giving vodka to an alcoholic. We need to empower the dim-witted..."

"Microsoft has ALWAYS removed features from prior versions of Windows when they're not necessary. Stop crying."

This is the kind of thing we're up against!
    I totally agree with you, and think the author should quit crying and adapt to any users wanting options, even if some of them may seem to him outdated, or out of style. Sure, things would be much simpler in the future if there were only one model of automobile, one shoe design, one floor plan for homes, one computer operating system, one flavor of ice cream, and we all ran around with the same haircut just because it might be the future. The list could go on an on, but good grief... wouldn't it all be horrifically boring?

Typewriters have been pretty much obsolete for many years now, but there are plenty of heavy-duty typists that continue to prefer them over a computer keyboard. Why should they "embrace the new concept" when they like where they are? Let's leave them free to use what they prefer rather than expecting them to adjust to new technology just because it's new and someone else thinks it's better for everyone.
    oz

I don't really see what all the fuss is about, I've used Metro and it's not THAT bad. It just takes a little getting used to but I thought the whole point of releasing upgrades was to add/remove new and outdated features. If someone REALLY doesn't like the direction of Windows they can always protest by using an alternative OS.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    I've not tried Win 8 personally and likely never will, but from all the I've read online, it's amazingly unpopular with end users. In addition, I read somewhere that Win 8 isn't even coming close to the new sales that Vista had, which was also very unpopular.

Edit: here's an article about the slow sales, although I'm not sure this is the same article that I read previously:

Windows 8 Off to a Worse Start Than Vista

@hazel

It's funny that you posted this today because just before you did so, I was working hard to adjust the configs on one of my boxes at the office that uses Win7 to use the old classic interface instead. I've been using the Aero themes are whatever they are called for about a year or so and have hated every minute of it and had finally decided to return to something better. The computer is plenty powerful, but because of all the useless eyecandy provided by Aero, the machine always felt far too slow and clunky for me, and I simply didn't like using it. Now it runs much better, but of course it's still only Windows. Not sure why so many think that every user should like everything new that comes out. For me, just being something new or different does not necessarily make it better.
    Last edited by oz; 03-13-2013 at 04:35 AM.
    oz