Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't know about other peoples experiences, but in Coventry there is no longer a LUG. Sure there is a website and a mailing list but the mailing list gets ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is the "LUG" dead in the UK? .....Or just in Coventry.

I don't know about other peoples experiences, but in Coventry there is no longer a LUG. Sure there is a website and a mailing list but the mailing list gets about three messages a week and the website has been practically abandoned.

Coventry used to be a thriving LUG with regular social meetings, they even used to have a stand at the local Godiva festival (Britains largest free festival).

So..... how are people finding their local LUG? Have you noticed a dwindling number of active members or are you going from strength to strength? On a side note, anyone on here from Coventry? What are your opinions on the state of the LUG?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Good question(s). These things seem to be somewhat cyclical - for awhile they are very active, and then they lay dormant - often because the drivers of these groups are otherwise occupied. Maybe you need to take a leadership role in order to re-ignite interest in the group?

As an example: I used to be very active (chairperson actually) in a major IEEE group in the Chicago area. Last year I took a position with a major cell phone manufacturer as senior systems engineer, and my time to spend on the IEEE group stuff became limited. I am still a director of the group, but mostly I am there in an advisory capacity, not a driving force.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!