Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't know if it's available online but here's the paper reference: Lost in the clouds Douglas Heaven New Scientist, 30 March 2013, pp.35-37. It's about the ownership problems that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Interesting article in New Scientist

I don't know if it's available online but here's the paper reference:
    Lost in the clouds
    Douglas Heaven
    New Scientist, 30 March 2013, pp.35-37.

It's about the ownership problems that cloud computing raises. Many people use the cloud without realising it; for example, the ebooks that you read on your kindle are actually stored on an Amazon server. And the laws on who owns this stuff - you or the hosting company - are very vague. You have been warned!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

If I want a book, I buy a book - the hard copy is mine. My data is stored on my hardware. Data which is not stored on my hardware is not my data, it may be data about me or may be data I'd like to own ... but it's not mine.

The problem is people think they own data which is stored on hardware they do not own, they have limited - if any control over the data. They typically have no control over where the data is stored e.g. geographic location. They have no control over where copies or backups of the data are stored etc. They do not have full control over the data - they don't own it.

If you are convinced you own data stored on hardware that belongs to someone else then try deleting something and ensuring all copies, backups, archives etc are deleted ... and that it can not be recoved/restored/retrieved

Ed: I'm more concerned about the antibiotic crisis indicated in the same publication.
    Online you can only read the intro of most articles unless you subscribe.