Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi im new to linux and have decided to go solely to linux and android I think this forum will be a big help I think im oing to go ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hi im new

hi im new to linux and have decided to go solely to linux and android I think this forum will be a big help I think im oing to go with ubuntucause im a newbi
    thanks dan

Quote Originally Posted by hfflunki View Post
    hi im new to linux and have decided to go solely to linux and android I think this forum will be a big help I think im oing to go with ubuntucause im a newbi
    thanks dan
    Yeah, Ubuntu (or derivatives such as Kubuntu or Xubuntu) or Linux Mint (derived from Ubuntu) are good choices if you're new to Linux.

This forum will be good, there's a lot of smart people here, but if you end up going with a *buntu distribution, also sign up on ubuntuforums.org, or if you end up going with Linux Mint, sign up on the Mint forums. Sometimes specified help is a bit better.

I would recommend Linux Mint over Ubuntu if you're brand new. Not many major reasons in particular, but Mint comes pre-packed with a lot of proprietary codecs and such, so more proprietary media works out of the box, and I think the UI is a bit more intuitive (especially if you're coming from Windows) than Unity in Ubuntu.

Best of luck.

Howdy and Welcome! Glad to have you aboard!
    Ubuntu is a fine choice for a new Linux convert. Easy enough to use, and you can still dig in to the system when you need to.
    As mentioned above, Mint includes quite a few little extras, but even with the *buntu family, those are simple to grab.
    Make yourself at home, and start a thread if you have any issues.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Glad to have you join us. Hope you enjoy your time here.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Hello there, welcome to the forums.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Hi Dan,
    I agree with some of the others here - Mint which is ubuntu based is great. I also like the Lubuntu and Xubuntu versions, both of which I find much easier to use than unity (which I do NOT like). As an example, I installed mint on an old Asus laptop that came with Vista when it was new. I had tried XP and Win7 on it and ALL had driver issues. Install mint and EVERYTHING worked immediately - no problems. Only thing my daughter didn't like about mint when I gave it to her was that itunes did not work...

Have fun with linux and try a few different distros.