Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
You should take some of those extra EFI parts you have and convert my '85 CB450 You probably would not like what I would do with a 85 cb450 . ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

You should take some of those extra EFI parts you have and convert my '85 CB450
    You probably would not like what I would do with a 85 cb450.

I don't like stock (just personal tastes)

After I posted about the ol ladys Chrysler. The Hydraulic hood lift support shock absorber lost it's fluid and needed replacement. Go figure. 40 bucks to order and 10 minutes to remove. Should be here on the 9th.

Back to the barbecueing.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    You probably would not like what I would do with a 85 cb450.

I don't like stock (just personal tastes)

After I posted about the ol ladys Chrysler. The Hydraulic hood lift support shock absorber lost it's fluid and needed replacement. Go figure. 40 bucks to order and 10 minutes to remove. Should be here on the 9th.

Back to the barbecueing.
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of choppers, but I'll try anything in terms of bikes.

I just hate those CV carbs..the bowls on that thing look smaller in proportion to the VB22's used in the late 70's through the 80's. What kind of carbs are you running?

I know those VB22's wouldn't react well to those cover filters and those chopped up pipes - should be running lean as piss stock. These things are ridiculously hard to tune compared to flat slides. Highly considering the Mikuni conversion, but it's like $400, $100 per carb, $30 or so for the 1-2 throttle cable, another $20 / piece for lever chokes since the pull type won't work, adapters are probably a good 40 a piece, puts you at like 350, so it almost seems worth it.

These CV's are hell, though, I can't tune them at all. Stupid sensitive. Interested in what you're running on that thing.

PS:
    As for the appearance, I'm not a huge fan of choppers, but I'm not head-over-heals in love with my bike, either. I've dabbled in sport (CBR), dabbled in super sport (R1), dabbled in sport touring (katana (pre)), these 70's/80's Hondas though make EXCELLENT commuter bikes. Cheap as dirt, old school Japanese engineering, fresh off the boat, typically can be found with low miles, ridiculously maneuverable, they're pretty epic. But these carbs suck my soul out.... Dealing with it on both bikes, same damn problems with the carbs...

I run a Mikuni 40mm on one bike. A SU on another. Bendix on a couple of sportsters. A keihin on a couple of my other bikes also.

CV carbs are junk IMO also . I don't have any small bore carbs for a cb450. Smallest I have are 38mm for 1000 to 883cc.
    Maybe a rebuild kit for your CV carbs may sort things out for you (cheaper)

What gets me. I can get parts easier for my 1971 1000 cc XLCH than you can for your Honda CB450. Maybe a bike junkyard parts can get you hooked up with some cheap used mikunis
    in New York State.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I've worked on my own for years. I despise having my vehicle serviced by anyone other than me. I did all the work on my previous cars and the wife's also. We just got a 2009 Maxima and I've already looked it over to see if I can work on it, yes, I will be doing everything except Transmission, Engine and AC. Most everything else I can do myself. I just cannot stand shelling out hundreds of dollars for some national chain to send someone under my hood for minimum wage, not happening.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I've worked on my own for years. I despise having my vehicle serviced by anyone other than me. I did all the work on my previous cars and the wife's also. We just got a 2009 Maxima and I've already looked it over to see if I can work on it, yes, I will be doing everything except Transmission, Engine and AC. Most everything else I can do myself. I just cannot stand shelling out hundreds of dollars for some national chain to send someone under my hood for minimum wage, not happening.
    Amen to that, except I include most of the engine in there, too, provided space. My current location sux b/c I don't have the room to pull the engine :-\.

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    I run a Mikuni 40mm on one bike. A SU on another. Bendix on a couple of sportsters. A keihin on a couple of my other bikes also.

CV carbs are junk IMO also . I don't have any small bore carbs for a cb450. Smallest I have are 38mm for 1000 to 883cc.
    Maybe a rebuild kit for your CV carbs may sort things out for you (cheaper)

What gets me. I can get parts easier for my 1971 1000 cc XLCH than you can for your Honda CB450. Maybe a bike junkyard parts can get you hooked up with some cheap used mikunis
    in New York State.
    "The Coveted" Mikuni VM32mm Carburetor, Right Side Pre-Jetted for 400-650cc Twins | Honda CB350 CB450 32MM Mikuni Carburetor

People seem to run the VM32's for CB450 conversions, but this site and a few others are the only places I can find good info about it.

I'm just not sure if the OD of the engine side bores are the same size so it'll plug right into the OEM Honda engine-side carb boot/insulator.

It's also a bit expensive for a bike I give no ****s about. Just a daily beater.

I have a CM450, too, same gen, same carbs, same problems. That I may consider doing it for, I like that bike (pic
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...20720395_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...06992875_n.jpg

I gotta get rid of the straight pipes...as much as I enjoy the noise, they're too loud not to attract attention and piss people off. They're literally straight pipes with no baffles.

Though I was thinking of putting the VM32's on there, but it seems to be like a $300 project...which I mean in reality isn't much, but meh.

I don't really care if it's stock or not, these are commuter bikes/standards. If I was in it for the speed I'd still have my R1 or something. Though you can only do close to 200mph a few times before it gets repetitive and you realize you'll likely die sooner or later.

but it's like $400, $100 per carb
    That makes me think you have a 4 cyl. version. The link you provided is for twin cyclinder carbs. The pics are twins. Which is it? I am confused.
    I am not hip on jap bikes that much. The last one I built (a couple of years back) was I went to Ft. Worth Texas and picked a 1982 Yamaha 3 cyl 850cc with shaft drive.

I bought it on ebay for $250.00 so it was worth the gas to pick up. It was not running. The guy that bought it got over whelmed with fixing it. He had a spare engine from a wrecked bike also, ( I still have that in the shed).
    Back then I toyed with the idea of making something from that engine but time is too short for me half the time with projects.

I rewired the bike and bought 3 carb kits for the carbs and flushed the tank and cleaned petcocks and ran new hoses for the dry rotted ones. Lubed cables and adjusted. Slapped in a new battery.
    Sold it to a young guy in Pecos for $1,500.00 on payments with no interest. I kept the bike till he paid it off. He still rides it to this day. It is a pretty scary fast bike.

Me. If I was to get another old jap beater. I prefer this. I would then turn that into this. Problem is. Those 650s are rare as hens teeth and are not cheap when you find a complete one. Everybody likes those bikes.

I don't know if they are still selling Royal Enfeilds in the states like they were last when I was in Phoenix Arizona. But they are pretty proprietary I bet, though I aint sure.

I guess I am like the Count in Las Vegas on the show "Counting Cars" > But instead of being in love with cars. I like bikes instead.
    Plus, I don't have his budget. Location location.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Some Eric Peters How To's.

PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Instead, I fired up my 44 truck – and grabbed a heavy cushion from the old sofa I keep in my outbuilding. With the truck in Low, I inched it to within inches of the rear end of the Ned Beatty’fied Lexus hybrid. Got out, put that heavy cushion in between the two. You can probably see where I am going with this. Told wife – who is piloting “Ned” – to mash the gas when she hears me toot my horn. Then I gently, gradually, eased the truck forward. At contact, I hit the horn – and she hit the gas. With a little help from behind, the Lexus heaved-to and was shortly free of the muck.
    We in the desert have been doing this with old tires instead of cushions for ages. The sugar sand out here will bury a vehicle quicker than anything.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

@Syndacate

BBR Motorsports BBR 26mm Mikuni Carb Kit - JCWhitney

You might have to search through JC Whitney to find exactly what fits your bikes.

I stumbled across this because autozone ordered me the wrong part so I got my money back and am now trying to find the 2004 Chrysler Crossfire hood strut online.
    Looks like this will be the best deal because everyone else wants about $100.00+.

The 36" extended center to center measurements are what killing me. Monroe shock site does not even carry such a animal. Car is too exotic for the junk yards in odessa also.
    I already checked.

Roky, I've been toying with the idea of getting a scooter or motorcycle. Nothing fancy or powerful, just something cheap and fun. Are there any forums for scooters as good as linuxforums you would recommend?
    Registered Linux user #526930

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast