Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I'm new here, joined yesterday,I'm also very new to linux, in fact it's all still a bit of a mystery. I'm in the UK - Herefordshire on the English/ ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hi I'm New and a Linux- newbie

Hi

I'm new here, joined yesterday,I'm also very new to linux, in fact it's all still a bit of a mystery.
    I'm in the UK - Herefordshire on the English/ Welsh borders.

I have of course been attracted by Linux disros in the past and tried them out a couple of times but then encouterd difficulties that sent me running back to Microsoft .

I do some tech support for a charity and yesterdy I installed browser linux on one of their machines ( actually a new Pc that came without an OS ) .

All went well - and I established and network and internet connection , but although the settings seemed to be properly saved , on restart it wouldn't connect and the connection had to be re-established.

This prompted my registering with linuxforums , and I did blunder about a bit trying to get some support - before even introducing myself, I realize this was quite rude and I probably posted my appeal for help to the wrong forum.

Anyway , I'll try to persevere a bit more and try to get to grips with Linux.
    I'm sure there are good tutorials on line - any recommendations would be appreciated.

Bye for now

tetatate2

My understanding is that Browser Linux is a very small operating system intended for web surfing only. It could well be that it doesn't store the network config by design - or it could be that the version you put on is a 'Live CD' version intended to run from CD or DVD disk, so couldn't store its settings because of that.

Perhaps giving a go with a slightly larger distribution might be useful here, take a look the various threads on here that talk about distributions for new users. Perhaps Mint, Ubuntu or Fedora might suit. There are plenty of others too.

And welcome to the forums.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Hi

Thanks for your response.

Yes it is meant for web browsing only, that would suit this application I was looking for something like a 'webkiosk' type of Os, somthing small and light .
    Perhaps thought small doesn't mean uncomplicated in this instance.
    It seems to offer persistant settings - asking if I want to save the setting for future setting etc - but it just doesn't happen.

Perhaps though going for Ubuntu would be best , as you say, for a newbie, it seems to have a more developed / simpler graphical GUI - and maybe easier to get support .

I'll see if I can find get any more information and if not maybe install something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    My understanding is that Browser Linux is a very small operating system intended for web surfing only. It could well be that it doesn't store the network config by design - or it could be that the version you put on is a 'Live CD' version intended to run from CD or DVD disk, so couldn't store its settings because of that.

Perhaps giving a go with a slightly larger distribution might be useful here, take a look the various threads on here that talk about distributions for new users. Perhaps Mint, Ubuntu or Fedora might suit. There are plenty of others too.

And welcome to the forums.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I found this

Since Browser Linux is based on Puppy Linux, it runs completely in RAM. If you want to save settings, like wallpaper preferences, icon set, and other system settings, you can do so by shutting down the computer and choosing Save File when prompted.
    here. Don't know if it helps you.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    I would suggest using something like Ubunutu. I think it would be easier to get things working for you with the build in software center.

Just Joined!
    Yes , I may have to install somthing else , although on the face of it , the network set up is quite straight forward ?

Quote Originally Posted by bmxryder711 View Post
    I would suggest using something like Ubunutu. I think it would be easier to get things working for you with the build in software center.

Quote Originally Posted by tetatate2 View Post
    ...although on the face of it , the network set up is quite straight forward ?
    As far as setting up for a net connection, yes. If you can setup a connection on a Windows machine, you can do so in almost any network GUI. And Network Manager has a very intuitive interface.

BTW... Welcome aboard.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Try Slitaz. I think you'll find it as suitable but a bit more of an OS. Of course you might also be just as happy with a ubuntu variation. My personal favorites are Kubuntu and Xubuntu (respectively).

Slax would work beautifully but would be complicated to install so you might prefer to run it from a USB flash drive (enabling you to save your settings, which you couldn't do from a live CD).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by tetatate2 View Post
    Hi

Thanks for your response.

Yes it is meant for web browsing only, that would suit this application I was looking for something like a 'webkiosk' type of Os, somthing small and light . Perhaps thought small doesn't mean uncomplicated in this instance.
    Distributions that are 'small and light' are usually either small so they can fit on a USB drive with limited space (say 1 GB) or run on a machine with very little resources (such as limited amount of RAM etc). Most PC's that are even a few years old have enough memory to run a full distribution - I use standard Debian Linux on a 15 year old PC running at 450 MHz with 384 MB of RAM. Yes, it is rather slow, and it's not powerful enough to do certain common things like watching embedded flash videos on Youtube, but most people wouldn't dream of even trying to run anything useful on something that old. (This particular machine works as our network storage server and also for recording of digital audio in my home studio).

My point is that unless you have very special needs from those points of view, a standard distribution should do fine.

Just Joined!

Smile Once every one was new to linux

For tutorial U can go to:

wwwdotlinuxdotorg/tutotial
    u replace dot with the charecter '.'
    or just google around with the topic and u can learn a lot.

For browser linux I will recommend SLITAZ and Puppy Linux
    For full distro(i.e. whole linux operation system) u can install any if these:
    Fedora,Ubuntu,Mandriva,Mint,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast