Find the answer to your Linux question:
All you developers out there, I am curious. Which toolkit do you prefer to use and why? Do you use GTK or do you use QT to create your applications? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Which Toolkit for Develpment?

All you developers out there, I am curious.

Which toolkit do you prefer to use and why? Do you use GTK or do you use QT to create your applications?

This is not an end user debate, I just want to know which one the developer prefers to use and why.

I haven't started with either one, and I may end up creating my program to use both, but I just though I would start the conversation to find out more information.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Trusted Penguin
    My choice is not in your list. I use Perl/Tk and I'm quite happy with it. The reason I chose it is simple: I already knew Perl and just needed to read a few Tk man pages and my GUIs were rolling. My only other requirement (besides being easy to learn) was portability: I wanted my apps to run in Windows, too, and no problem there either. Another reason I like the tool kit is that, as it is part of Perl, there are many 3rd party CPAN modules available for Perl/Tk at my disposal.

If I had to choose b/t GTK and Qt, I'd probably lean towards GTK as I'm a GNOME user. Although if I were coding for mobile hardware, I'd probably get my Qt on. If I cared about my project being closed source, I guess that'd be another reason for Qt.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    My choice is not in your list. I use Perl/Tk and I'm quite happy with it. The reason I chose it is simple: I already knew Perl and just needed to read a few Tk man pages and my GUIs were rolling. My only other requirement (besides being easy to learn) was portability: I wanted my apps to run in Windows, too, and no problem there either. Another reason I like the tool kit is that, as it is part of Perl, there are many 3rd party CPAN modules available for Perl/Tk at my disposal.

If I had to choose b/t GTK and Qt, I'd probably lean towards GTK as I'm a GNOME user. Although if I were coding for mobile hardware, I'd probably get my Qt on. If I cared about my project being closed source, I guess that'd be another reason for Qt.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't mean to only include GTK or QT, I am open to any gui toolkit. I may still stick to console for some things, but I definitely want to get into gui develepment eventually.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    For my latest program, I used Qt until I realized that it is too slow for doing anything useful. I decided to use SDL instead and found this toolkit. I really like how it looks and I have no problems with speed now.

FLTK is also very nice.