Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Which Toolkit for Develpment?

All you developers out there, I am curious.

Which toolkit do you prefer to use and why? Do you use GTK or do you use QT to create your applications?

This is not an end user debate, I just want to know which one the developer prefers to use and why.

I haven't started with either one, and I may end up creating my program to use both, but I just though I would start the conversation to find out more information.

Code is Poetry

My choice is not in your list. I use Perl/Tk and I'm quite happy with it. The reason I chose it is simple: I already knew Perl and just needed to read a few Tk man pages and my GUIs were rolling. My only other requirement (besides being easy to learn) was portability: I wanted my apps to run in Windows, too, and no problem there either. Another reason I like the tool kit is that, as it is part of Perl, there are many 3rd party CPAN modules available for Perl/Tk at my disposal.

If I had to choose b/t GTK and Qt, I'd probably lean towards GTK as I'm a GNOME user. Although if I were coding for mobile hardware, I'd probably get my Qt on. If I cared about my project being closed source, I guess that'd be another reason for Qt.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    My choice is not in your list. I use Perl/Tk and I'm quite happy with it. The reason I chose it is simple: I already knew Perl and just needed to read a few Tk man pages and my GUIs were rolling. My only other requirement (besides being easy to learn) was portability: I wanted my apps to run in Windows, too, and no problem there either. Another reason I like the tool kit is that, as it is part of Perl, there are many 3rd party CPAN modules available for Perl/Tk at my disposal.

If I had to choose b/t GTK and Qt, I'd probably lean towards GTK as I'm a GNOME user. Although if I were coding for mobile hardware, I'd probably get my Qt on. If I cared about my project being closed source, I guess that'd be another reason for Qt.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't mean to only include GTK or QT, I am open to any gui toolkit. I may still stick to console for some things, but I definitely want to get into gui develepment eventually.

Code is Poetry

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    For my latest program, I used Qt until I realized that it is too slow for doing anything useful. I decided to use SDL instead and found this toolkit. I really like how it looks and I have no problems with speed now.

FLTK is also very nice.