Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Foresight is a new indedpendent distro available through distrowatch.com...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Foresight is a new indedpendent distro available through distrowatch.com
    Registered Linux user #526930

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I've ended up with chakra for now and apart from a couple of (KDE based) niggles, first impressions are very good.

The installer is probably the slickest I have ever seen and is full of nice touches such as showing an image of the selected keyboard layout. It's fast. Really fast. I'm running it on an 8 core I7 laptop on which it boots almost literally in the time it takes to blink; if you blink really slowly. In use it seems to use less resources and feels more responsive than XFCE and I don't know how they did that.

It's pure QT with no GTK programs in the repositories, so no GIMP, Firefox, Thunderbird etc. They do recognise that there some must have GTK apps including the three previously mentioned. They are provided in self contained bundles which are not installed in the traditional way. I don't yet understand exactly what they are or how they are different but they just work.

The niggles?

1. The way KDE insists on popping up a huge preview of windows over the menu if your mouse drifts a single mm into the wrong place.

2. Somehow deleting all my email for one of my accounts from the server when attempting to set up kmail. And then finding out that the hosting provider's backup doesn't include email It was probably my fault but I'm going to blame kmail anyway

3. KDE and it's applications seem to have configuration everywhere which makes it very hard to find things which is how I think number 2 really happened

[edit]4. And that awful cashew that the KDE devs will not allow you to remove. Which is odd considering that KDE is supposed to be completely configurable and that as it does nearly nothing it sucks up a disconcerting amount of system resources. I assume that the developer is a delicate little flower that can't handle the rejection; or is compensating for something. Still there are plasmoids that get rid of the damned thing![/edit]
    Last edited by elija; 04-13-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    Foresight is a new indedpendent distro available through distrowatch.com
    I seem to remember Foresight being around years ago and trying it out. I don't remember if I liked it though.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I've ended up with chakra for now and apart from a couple of (KDE based) niggles, first impressions are very good.
    Thx for posting, elija. The bit about it being fast really interests me and you've got me curious about the installer, too.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Thx for posting, elija. The bit about it being fast really interests me and you've got me curious about the installer, too.
    It's all subjective of course. I haven't installed any of the server software yet (database, web server etc) so that may slow it down a bit. I still have to mount /tmp in ram using tmpfs which usually speeds things up a little.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

Well, I can't get on with KDE on a daily basis. It's not that bad but I just don't get on with it that well. One great thing is how the Calligra Office suite puts the tool bars on the right hand side which speaking as someone with only wide screens is a great use of real screen estate.

If you don't like Gnome 3 or Unity but do like a DE with plenty of eye candy then check it out. Chakra provides (reputedly) the best out of the box KDE experience although I couldn't possibly comment
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Well, I can't get on with KDE on a daily basis. It's not that bad but I just don't get on with it that well. One great thing is how the Calligra Office suite puts the tool bars on the right hand side which speaking as someone with only wide screens is a great use of real screen estate.

If you don't like Gnome 3 or Unity but do like a DE with plenty of eye candy then check it out. Chakra provides (reputedly) the best out of the box KDE experience although I couldn't possibly comment
    Hmm, I might have to check that out.....that's a pretty bold statement, I like bold and KDE. I'm itching and searching for a new KDE desktop since my Gentoo rig went down. I've been using Fedora 18, Gnome-3.6 for about 3-4 weeks and It's not bad, everything works, I got used to the new tool bars and "activities" thing-a-majig....even my sucky pixma printer works out of the box. It was almost too easy.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

A bold statement from a review in a Linux magazine. I've not used enough KDE based distros to know if there is any truth to it
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

As far as I know.....Sabayon leads in KDE but I've not tried them all. Nor have I tried Chakra.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2