Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
...and out of my comfort zone which means no Debian, Red Hat or Slack. I can't abide Gnome 3 and definitely don't have the patience for a source based distro ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

I'm itching to try something new...

...and out of my comfort zone which means no Debian, Red Hat or Slack.

I can't abide Gnome 3 and definitely don't have the patience for a source based distro and I've so far narrowed it down to these two:

Manjaro
    Chakra

Any others that could be interesting?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Putting this in the bin

Code:
    harry@biker:~$ wget https://android-x86.googlecode.com/files/android-x86-4.2-20130228.iso
    --2013-04-11 13:23:05--  https://android-x86.googlecode.com/files/android-x86-4.2-20130228.iso
    Resolving android-x86.googlecode.com (android-x86.googlecode.com)... 173.194.74.82, 2607:f8b0:400d:c02::52
    Connecting to android-x86.googlecode.com (android-x86.googlecode.com)|173.194.74.82|:443... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 206569472 (197M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `android-x86-4.2-20130228.iso'

64% [=====================================================>                              ] 133,421,324 21.7K/s  eta 43m 55s
    That is about as far out of the comfort zone as I can get besides trying Gentoo but they sold what I was saving up for.

Oh crap. The link is dead. Here was the description

Up for sale today is a Fuloong mini PC based on China's homegrown "Loongson" 2F processor. This is mostly a system for hobbyist PC projects and I can't recomend it for general use, but it can do some very cool things. These are nearly impossible to get in the west, this one has been imported and sits on my desk in Olympia, WA.It has been preloaded with a lot of good extras, including 2GBs of ram (very hard to do, requires kernel and PROM hacking!), Gentoo Linux, and a a nice big Western Digital 320GB single platter 7200RPM HD. It includes everything pictured, including manual and all original accesories. I purchased this planning to use it as a small scale file server on a trip to China, but ultimately never got around to doing anything but upgrading it. You can only get these outside China via Tekmote electronics in the Netherlands. To my knowledge, mine is the only one of these for sale in North America. I'm asking roughly a little less than the price at Tekmote, which I find more than reasonable considering you get all these extras, free shipping, and even a Lemote mouse and mousepad I got while over in China as a freebie.
    This is a great computer for a tech hobbyist and the price is right, if I were you I'd buy it now. There certainly won't be another of these on ebay for a very very long time... Search completed listings if you don't believe me!
    Thanks for looking!
    EDIT 02/04/13:
    I've opened this item to best offers. Shoot me your offer, no gurantee I will accept but I'm open to (reasonably) offers. Buy it Now is still the safest bet if you want it guaranteed on your doorstep, I ship fast.
    2nd edit: maybe this link will work
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Maybe Sabayon? Bells and whistles out the ying yang.

I made me a pendrive out of Fuduntu 2013.2 a couple of days ago. It was pretty nifty and rpm distros our way out of my comfort zone also.
    I can finagle Puppy linux easier than a rpm distro.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Sabayon is another possibility which I hadn't considered as is a neat arch. Gentoo is out as it is a source distro though.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

Since you posted some arch spinoffs. Here is another you may not know about.

Murga forums has a big thread on it.

alphaOS | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Sabayon is another possibility which I hadn't considered as is a neat arch. Gentoo is out as it is a source distro though.

Sabayon is quiet good but it's also Gentoo based.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Trusted Penguin
    If you want to go completely sideways, you could always try a BSD. DragonFly has been updated recently, same as PC-BSD, I think.

Also, if you're into trying Arch and not a GNOME lover, you could give Cinnarch a gander.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Sabayon is quiet good but it's also Gentoo based.
    I thought Sabayon was binary unlike it's parent?

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    If you want to go completely sideways, you could always try a BSD. DragonFly has been updated recently, same as PC-BSD, I think.
    I have used PC-BSD for a little while in the not too distant past. It's a wonderful operating system although I do prefer a Linux to a BSD. DragonFly has been added to the must try in a VM list.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Also, if you're into trying Arch and not a GNOME lover, you could give Cinnarch a gander.
    I know it's controversial but Cinnamon is just Gnome 3 with lipstick.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

I've plaved with SliTaz a little, and have been quite impressed with it. You might give it a try.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I know it's controversial but Cinnamon is just Gnome 3 with lipstick.
    And if that wasn't bad enough, Gnome 3 is just Gnome 2 with a lobotomy. But that is still better than Gnome 2 with diarrhea: yes, Unity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast