Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am an avid Ubuntu user. I have a laptop and a desktop that are powered by this particular distro. But now I am looking for a light-weight device to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Android-Linux compatibility -- Tablet v. Notebook v. Netbook

I am an avid Ubuntu user. I have a laptop and a desktop that are powered by this particular distro. But now I am looking for a light-weight device to help me with my work. Carrying a full-fledged laptop with me all the time is no longer an option and I want to avoid it at all costs. So I have been thinking of getting either an ultra light notebook, a netbook, or a tablet.

It seems that the rise of tablet computers has put the production of netbooks to an end. So I am wondering from a Linux perspective which of these devices are more powerful and more capable of doing the type of work I would need them to do. And which of these devices is more Linux friendly? My work involves dealing constantly with the open source word processor, open source power point presentation and spread sheet, various photo images, pdf files, and internet browsing.

So I guess I would like to know (1) whether a tablet, a netbook, or alternatively an ultra light notebook would be a good choice for me and (2) whether I would be able to create in these devices the type of documents (such as .odt) that could be easily modified in my other Linux devices. I know I can download Linux on both a netbook and an ultra light notebook. But how does Android communicate with say Ubuntu? That's something I don't know.

Appreciatively,

R

Linux Guru
    Depends where you live for starters. USA or overseas.

I was window shopping today.

But, I did not buy anything. Just Looking.

Just Joined!
    Yes, I live and work in the USA.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Well, owning a few 9" netbooks'. I have linux as a primary operating system on all of them. I can say they fit the bill for your requirements. My wife has a IBMl Tablet with
    Android on it. I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole if I want to keep my extremities intact. I never saw anyone running Linux on that arm processor
    the IBM uses or anyone rooting the device. She uses her Windows 7 15" Compaq more than she uses that Tablet and that tablet has some pretty nice specs when I bought it for her new a while back. It even has a slot for changing sim cards.

Any hows. Those ones I linked at that I looked at earlier will all run Linux just fine for what you want to do. It boils down to personal
    tastes and how fat your fingers are. Mine are huge as I type this out with just 2 fingers on this

Code:
    $ inxi -Fxz
    System:    Host: biker Kernel: 3.8.4-antix.2-486-smp i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) 
               Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-13-beta2-pt1_386-full Ahmad Sami 24 March 2013
    Machine:   System: manda product: Intel powered classmate PC version: Gen 1.5L
               Mobo: N/A model: N/A Bios: American Megatrends version: CM94515A.86A.0024.2008.0715.1716 date: 07/15/2008
    CPU:       Single core Intel Core CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3192.06 
               Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
               X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@53.3hz 
               GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
    Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.8.4-antix.2-486-smp
    Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller 
               driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: ec00 bus-ID: 01:00.0
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 63.3GB (-) 1: id: /dev/sda model: KingSpec_KSD size: 63.3GB 
    Partition: ID: / size: 59G used: 6.6G (12%) fs: jfs 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 61.0C mobo: N/A 
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
    Info:      Processes: 96 Uptime: 37 min Memory: 360.8/2015.0MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.7.2 
               Client: Shell (bash 4.2.37) inxi: 1.8.45
    9" netbook'. You might like getting a 11" or 12 " instead. At least the 2 tablets I showed will install and run linux.

Hi

I would say that working with spread sheets, word processor, etc. with a touch screen is a pain, you should stick to something with a keyboard and a pointing device. If not a regular laptop maybe you may like one of google's chromebook

I have tried various netbooks and tablets using Android, and swear at them not by them. That said, Android 4.0 and above is much better than 2.0 or 2.2, still, I would avoid android. As arespi says, get something with a keyboard if you want to send anything but the shortest of e-mails, or do spread sheets. The 2 Chinese imports I have tried were slower than grass growing, but that may have been due to the Android 2.0 and 2.2 that were on them. My HP tablet and Kindle are much better, but I still wouldn't want to do much in the way of office work on them.
    Registered Linux user #526930