Find the answer to your Linux question:
Although I use the Internet every day; I know very little about its history, just how it works, etc. My admiration for " the open-source community " however is very ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Dotcom's Revenge!!

Although I use the Internet every day; I know very little about its history, just how it works, etc. My admiration for " the open-source community " however is very high! I only have dial-up so a lot of the Internet's uses are not available to me. I just read this article called Dotcom's Revenge and I wonder just what is in store for the unfolding future for the Internet!!

By the time this is all over,” Dotcom says, “I’ll have already built the next online empire.”

Inside Mega: The Second Coming Of Kim Dotcom - Forbes
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

More strength to his elbow! A lot of law-abiding people lost their data when the US government shut down maga-upload. You can read a very interesting article about the legality of this in the New Scientist of 30th March.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    More strength to his elbow! A lot of law-abiding people lost their data when the US government shut down maga-upload. You can read a very interesting article about the legality of this in the New Scientist of 30th March.
    I do not have a New Scientist account Hazel, could you please email the article to me? Thanks!!
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    Although I use the Internet every day; I know very little about its history, just how it works, etc. My admiration for " the open-source community " however is very high! I only have dial-up so a lot of the Internet's uses are not available to me. I just read this article called Dotcom's Revenge and I wonder just what is in store for the unfolding future for the Internet!!

By the time this is all over,” Dotcom says, “I’ll have already built the next online empire.”

Inside Mega: The Second Coming Of Kim Dotcom - Forbes
    To get you started...

The ARPA project was started by President Eisenhower back in 1958. This was a response to the USSR's launch of the Sputnik (first man-made satellite launched into space). Yes, this is a federal project and it still exists. In late 1966 (Nov or Dec), the ARPA network project started. It included US, British, and French government projects (the term "Intranet" comes from work being done in France).

April 1969 the first RFC was created which is how the "standardization" of the net is maintained (see ░▒▓ OpenRFC.org ▓▒░). They have a good link to the time-line for the internet.

The first email was sent from machine to machine in 1971.

FTP dates back to July 1972 (see RCF 354). At this point I was working with computers for a year. Also UNIX email started in 1972.

TCP started on the ARPANET in Q3 of 1977 and in Q1 1978 TCP and IP were separated (as they are today). But it would not be 100% TCP/IP until January 1983. Also in 1983 the military network and ARPANET seperates.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Where wizards stay up late is the best history of the Internet I have read.

Given who the authors interviewed, it can only be described as authoritative and reveals early on that some of the common myths such as nuclear survivability are half true; but that the real reason it got started was one man couldn't be bothered!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

Agree -- in the US (with a Kindle version): Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins Of The Internet: Katie Hafner: 9780684832678: Amazon.com: Books

I worked for Larry Roberts' Caspian for about a year, see Lawrence Roberts (scientist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a few details on him ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    I do not have a New Scientist account Hazel, could you please email the article to me? Thanks!!
    Nor do I! Some people do still read magazines in hard copy, you know. And I'm a very old-fashioned person. Unfortunately for you, I pass my New Scientists on to a church friend (she gives me old Spectators in exchange) so I don't have the article any more; otherwise I might have tried scanning it for you.

Don't public libraries in New York offer access to old magazines? They do here in London.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

The " public libraries " in New York City are not nice places Hazel!!
    I read about the case on Wiki:
    Megaupload - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Linux user # 414321