Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
Like Tree4Likes
Originally Posted by zhengcl86 i have read a few articles on DSL and the latest version or update was released sept 2012 and it was called an "unstable" version because ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #11
    Penguin of trust elija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Posts
    3,539

    Quote Originally Posted by zhengcl86 View Post
    i have read a few articles on DSL and the latest version or update was released sept 2012 and it was called an "unstable" version because of coding error? like crashes etc, can anyone verify this?
    Like free, unstable has two meanings. The first is as you say, things crashing often. This more normally applies to development releases which may have bugs and other issues. DSL is currently at release candidate stage so most of those should have been found and fixed.

    Unstable also means changing often. If you consider Debian, it is a stable distro because it rarely gets new versions of software only security and bug patches. If you run the Debian unstable branch for comparison, you will get software versions that track the bleeding edge and yet they rarely fall over.

    There are alternatives to DSL, mainly Tiny Core and Slitaz
    Lakshmipathi likes this.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

    When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?


    The Fifth Continent

  2. #12
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    0
    what are packets? are they pretty much "add-ons" to the DSL operating system?

  3. #13
    Penguin of trust elija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Posts
    3,539
    If you mean packages, then they are pieces of software. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_package_formats
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

    When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?


    The Fifth Continent

  4. #14
    Linux Guru Lakshmipathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    3rd rock from sun - Often seen near moon
    Posts
    1,758
    Code:
    rticles on DSL and the latest version or update was released sept 2012 and it was called an "unstable" version because of coding error? like crashes etc, can anyone verify this?
    Is DSL still alive ? - I thought the project was dead few years back. Good. 'Unstable' normally refers to developers in the process of making changes to code. They are still adding new features/code. So It's not recommended to use 'unstable' DSL to store critical data.
    If you get stable version, developers assume its more reliable.

    DistroWatch.com: Damn Small Linux
    Damn Small Linux getting a big update
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

  5. #15
    Administrator jayd512's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    5,023
    DSL was dormant for a few years, and came alive again a few months ago. Were still looking at a Release Candidate version (RC2 I think...).
    So we should see a new version sometime soon.
    Lakshmipathi likes this.
    Jay

    New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

  6. #16
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    well in that case, I can tell you I've used DSL in the (distant) past, for these primary reasons:

    1. it was one of the few Linux distros out there that was "Live"
    2. it was tiny and thus tempting to "just try and see"
    3. it was reputably (and truly) not resource-heavy

    hope that helps!
    what did you mean by "Live"? as in free to use?

  7. #17
    Linux Newbie mactruck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    City of Salt
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by zhengcl86 View Post
    what did you mean by "Live"? as in free to use?
    By Live he means that you do not need to install the OS. You can run it directly from a CD or thumb drive without installing anything.

  8. #18
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    0
    so i kinda of want to test this out does anyone have a link to DSL where i can download and load onto my usb drive?

  9. #19
    Linux Newbie mactruck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    City of Salt
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by zhengcl86 View Post
    so i kinda of want to test this out does anyone have a link to DSL where i can download and load onto my usb drive?
    DSL can be found here

  10. #20
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    0
    i gotta buy this OS? if i want to boot from my flash drive??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •