Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm an very active Gamer and content creator. I know that Linux is better in pretty much every way especially in forms of UI. I also know that you can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Why I haven't switched from Windows

I'm an very active Gamer and content creator. I know that Linux is better in pretty much every way especially in forms of UI. I also know that you can run some windows programs in Wine, but I seriously doubt that they all run perfectly.

I run Cod4, Tribes Ascend, Goldwave, Sony Vegas, and Paint.net on a daily bases.

I especially doubt that multimedia creation applications would run perfectly via wine. But I've never really tested it since I can't see a huge improvement in Linux , that's worth the hassle that is switching from windows.

If I would switch to linux I would most likely use either Kali or Debian.

Thoughts? Or any huge reasons to switch? I want to switch but It seems like more trouble than its worth.
    Last edited by SawyerTHEBEST; 04-30-2013 at 02:19 PM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If it works for you...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Hello and Welcome!

Since Windows works so well for most of your needs, I'd say that you probably need to keep it active on your machine. But if you're also looking for a way to have an active Linux installation, you could either setup a dual-boot or establish a VM.

Failing that, use what works best for you.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

What kind of video card do you have?

Trusted Penguin
    welcome to the fold, Sawyer!

Quote Originally Posted by SawyerTHEBEST View Post
    Thoughts? Or any huge reasons to switch? I want to switch but It seems like more trouble than its worth.
    You seem skeptical about the capabilities of Linux, but say you want to switch? So why do you want to switch? It is true that Windows apps running in WINE do suffer, in both performance and general capability. There are alternative native apps for Linux, though, and more being created all the time. Of course, if you have specific apps that you require to function with 100% effectiveness, or .NET, then yeah, it would not make sense, in my mind, to switch to Linux entirely.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
    What kind of video card do you have?
    gtx 680 :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^)

Just Joined!
    Could I get some names of Linux alternative programs, that don't suck >.< for Picture editing, video editing, and I have to game but I really doubt games have a fun time with wine

Just Joined!
    I want to learn any coding language on linux which every nerd jizzes for, so I suspect that it is better in that respect. The thing is what can you do on Linux that you can't do on Windows?

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Quote Originally Posted by SawyerTHEBEST View Post
    Could I get some names of Linux alternative programs...
    This should help a bit: The Linux Alternative Project
    As far as gaming with Wine, some games perform quite well. You should check out the Wine DB. Steam might also be an option for you.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.