Find the answer to your Linux question:
Since yesterday I have had a tiresome problem with downloading email from Google. I keep getting messages saying that their SSL certificate has changed. Once would be reasonable - people ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is anything funny going on at Google?

Since yesterday I have had a tiresome problem with downloading email from Google. I keep getting messages saying that their SSL certificate has changed. Once would be reasonable - people do change their certs from time to time. But this is happening every five minutes, even though I keep accepting the new certificate.

Is anyone else seeing this?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What mail reader are you running Hazel? Have you tried clearing out its cache/cookies/etc? I use the gmail web interface, so I'm not seeing this. Let me check my phone which does download my mail...

Nope. No such notifications on my phone, and it uses SSL to download my mail from Google.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    What mail reader are you running Hazel?
    It's claws-mail and I don't remember having this problem with it before.

Have you tried clearing out its cache/cookies/etc?
    Do emailers use cookies? I thought that was just browsers. I can't find a cache for it either. But it seems to be running normally now.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    No problems today. It must have been a problem at their end. Trouble is I don't really know how ssl works; if anyone could recommend me a good entry-level guide, that would be nice.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    "Google is your friend." Lots of stuff on the web about that. The short answer is that ssl uses signed certificate-based public key encryption to secure the stream. Your browser or email uses the public key from the certificate to encrypt the data, and the host site uses their private key to decrypt it. You might get these errors if either the cert has expired, they have issued a new certificate and the one your system has cached is not in agreement with it, or possibly because the signing authority is not accessible for some reason. I'm sure there are other reasons as well. I know that Chrome and other browsers complain when you try to use SSL to get to a site with a self-signed certificate (one not issued by a "certified" signing authority).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

My " issue " with gmail is how tedious it has gotten with certain websites. I now archive some of my newsfeeds without reading them and go directly to the website to avoid the frustration and the nagging to install a google chrome browser.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Google is the new MicroSoft. Think about it.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted