Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, You can call me Carl. New to Linux, newish to programming as well. Trying to learn both as well as I can. Now its time to ask an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hello

Hi all,

You can call me Carl.

New to Linux, newish to programming as well. Trying to learn both as well as I can.

Now its time to ask an assuredly loaded question:

What do you think is the best distro to start learning Linux on for someone who would like to get a good idea of how it operates?

Less loaded:

Which distro do you use. Why?

Hello and welcome

One way of learning the various parts of a linux system is building one yourself.
    Welcome to Linux From Scratch!
    Bring patience. And coffee.

I use debian at work because the servers I maintain run debian.
    At home it varies.
    Debian and CentOS servers to run my home network and for tests.
    Edit: Forgot freebsd for my nas (freenas)

Fedora and ubuntu as workstations (VMs).
    I am more or less only interested in a graphical, vte based terminal.
    So the workstation distribution doesnt really matter.
    If a new fedora or ubuntu comes out I will install it just to see what is new.
    Last edited by Irithori; 05-01-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

For your first install I would do either Ununtu or Linux Mint. Both are really similar and have a huge amount of users and very easy to find support. Once you are more familiar with those then I would suggest trying different distros till you find the one you like.

EDIT> oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

To start the learning process. Howdy and Welcome by the way.

zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser

There is another site . It just came out a few days ago also.

Distro Picker | TuxRadar Linux

I use AntiX because it is a lean and mean distro. I run it on 64bit and 32bit machines.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Awesome.

There seems to bit of a barrier to entry for alot of this stuff. The information helps quite a bit.

Trusted Penguin
    hey there, Carl. welcome aboard.

Linux is getting more and more user-friendly all the time, so it is hard to pick wrong. Sometimes a distro puts out a lemon in one of their versions, but they usually get around to fixing it in the next version.

If you want light-weight, go for Puppy, DSL, or AntiX.

If you want main stream (and lots of community support), try Fedora, Ubuntu/Mint, Debian, OpenSUSE, or Mageia.

If you want a server, try CentOS or ScientificLinux - they are free, binary-compatible clones of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. You could also use SUSE or Ubuntu as a server easily.

If you want to impress your geek friends, try Gentoo or Slackware.

There are so, so many others, as you know if you've been to DistroWatch. The main thing to remember is that you should find the distro that is right for you. Many distros come with Live versions these days so you can "try before you buy". This is one good way to kick the tires and see how your hardware lines up with the software.

At work, I use CentOS (and RHEL) on servers and Fedora for desktops/clients. There is the occasional Debian or ARM-custom-Linux distro thrown in, too, for the squirrelly stuff. At home I use Fedora, mainly b/c I am just so used to it from using it at work.

Welcome Carl, My vote goes to Ubuntu !
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Welcome to the forum Carl. Depending on your nature and how you learn best, you can jump into the deep end with linux from scratch, or start with a beginner friendly distro like Ubuntu and slowly work your way into deeper water as you get more comfortable. It's kind of like learning mechanics by buying a junk car and rebuilding it, or getting a new car and learning to change the plugs, oil, etc. as the need arises. In the end you will learn faster by rebuilding a car, but you will face a huge amount of frustration and have a steep learning curve.
    Registered Linux user #526930