Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By elija
I'm almost always the last person to be made aware of anything. I just read about the FinFisher Virus that looks like Firefox. Activist Post: Mozilla may take legal action ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

The FinFisher Virus

I'm almost always the last person to be made aware of anything.
    I just read about the FinFisher Virus that looks like Firefox.
    Activist Post: Mozilla may take legal action against company behind FinFisher for masking surveillance virus as Firefox
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Spyware masquerades as Firefox!

The spyware in question is produced by a company called Gamma. It's for Windows, of course; the scam wouldn't work in Linux, where people get Firefox either from their distro's repository or from the Mozilla website.

The program file is called Firefox.exe and claims Mozilla trademarks. Mozilla are hopping mad, especially as the spyware has been used by certain governments to spy on their citizens. You can read more here.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Merged here.

I really hope Mozilla get awarded punitive damages so as to discourage others from trying similar tactics.
    MikeTbob likes this.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Thanks for the link, Hazel! I sure hope that no one bothers messing with the Seamonkey browser!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Linux User
    That's awful. But I've seen it coming for years.

Here's a somewhat related story:

My mother purchased a new Brother All-in-wonder printer last month. She asked me to pop over to set it up, which I did. It didn't come with the required USB cable, that annoyed me right away. Fortunately the old one had the same ends and worked.

I put the install disk in, it starts chewing away, I agree to the EULA mindlessly, and click my way through the install setup, and let it go to work. Copying, copying... I go up and eat brunch before it gets cold.

I come down a half hour later and it's waiting for confirmation on whether to INSTALL or CANCEL. WTF? I click INSTALL and it goes back to work, copying copying... I let it do it's thing, which of course, on WinVista, is completely opaque, and I really have no idea at all what it actually *IS* doing.

Finally it seems to be done, and wants you to register. I ask my mom, "Do you want to register?". She says yes, so I click "Register now", get out of the chair, and let her take command. IE pops up with some website asking for her name, address, phone number, email, etc, and of course, password. She starts filling in the fields and I go, "Whoa whoa. What is this website?"

I look at the URL in the address bar, and it has nothing at all to do with Brother or the printer she just bought. There is no mention of printers, or any product of any sort. It doesn't even say what the point of typing her personal information into these entry fields is for. There is no mention of registration of anything. I tell her that, and she gets all confused. It's just a webpage demanding information. There is no privacy policy, or anything to confirm that it's even a legitimate website. I've been into computers since 1983, and I've never heard of the site. I explain this to her, and she changes her mind about registering the product, albeit reluctantly.

Should I have let her continue?

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    The spyware in question is produced by a company called Gamma. It's for Windows, of course; the scam wouldn't work in Linux, where people get Firefox either from their distro's repository or from the Mozilla website.

The program file is called Firefox.exe and claims Mozilla trademarks. Mozilla are hopping mad, especially as the spyware has been used by certain governments to spy on their citizens. You can read more.
    Just that version, read this article... no OS or phone is safe.

Can't post links, you'll need to copy and pate in the browser.

//owni.eu/2011/12/15/finfisher-for-all-your-intrusive-surveillance-needs/

Linux User
    So I'm checking out that link:
    //owni.eu/2011/12/15/finfisher-for-all-your-intrusive-surveillance-needs/
    and I run across this:
    Hello, you have an old version of Adobe Flash Player. To use iPaper (and lots of other stuff on the web) you need to get the latest Flash player.
    Does anyone else here see the irony?

I didn't see that. I have an ad blocker.