Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
!!! HELP !!! Hello, I am Tj and my os is windows. But I would like to switch to linux. I dont know anything about linux and windows is suck ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Thinking to switch from windows

!!! HELP !!!
    Hello,
    I am Tj and my os is windows. But I would like to switch to linux.
    I dont know anything about linux and windows is suck a pain nowadays.

Is linux easy to operate?
    can i play games? like call of duty etc.

what about the software? easy to get or can i install adobe and etc? text editor?

about the hardware, my Tp-link wireless router will work? and networking?

what about the OS version and updates?

Sorry for many dumb questions but i really need to know.

PLz help.
    Thank u,
    Tj
    Last edited by Tjkhan; 05-05-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Linux User
    Hi Tj,

In my opinion linux is quite easy to use.

A big difference is that linux is developed in many directions ... everyone who wants to make an improvement can do so.
    That's why there many different distributions.
    For example:
    There is debian
    based on debian - ubuntu was developed
    based on ubuntu - kubuntu, mint, etc was developed

I would recommend you get a live-cd with ubuntu ...

Updates can be set to loaded automatic.
    Most software is easy to install, via the software-managment.

Just Joined!
    thank u very much for ur answer going to give it a try. Linux Mint ok?

Just be aware, that gaming on linux is still in the beginning phase.
    There is steam for linux that provides a handful of games.
    But in general you cannot play windows games on linux
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Aside from Steam, you might enjoy some luck using Wine to play some of your games. This is by no means a guarantee ,though.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Aside from Steam, you might enjoy some luck using Wine to play some of your games.
    and to that end, there is a very handy app database on WINE's website that attempts to track the success of given apps/games via WINE. also are tips/tricks to getting certain apps to work, per user contributed comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjkhan View Post
    Is linux easy to operate?
    Yes, as long as you remember that it isn't Windows. There are some basic concepts like file ownership and permissions that you really need to learn. And it helps to have a basic awareness of how the system is put together (e.g. the fact that the kernel handles all your hardware rather than there being a lot of separate drivers, and that your graphical desktop is quite independent of the underlying system and can be switched to a different one if you want). Beyond that, you can learn as much as you want.

what about the software? easy to get or can i install adobe and etc? text editor?
    Installing software is very easy in Linux; a program called the package manager gets it for you by name from your distribution's software repository. But a lot already comes with the basic installation.

By Adobe, do you mean the Acrobat reader or Flash? Very few people use Acrobat in Linux because the native pdf readers are better. Flash is more contentious: a lot of people won't have it on their machines because it's spyware. There is a Linux equivalent called gnash but that doesn't always work. If you absolutely must have Flash, you can install it.

Text editors are two-a-penny! There will be one included with your basic desktop; if you don't like it, you can always install a different one. That's only for plain ASCII text of course. For formatted text, use LibreOffice (a MS Office clone) or Abiword (a simple stand-alone word processor)

about the hardware, my Tp-link wireless router will work? and networking?
    Networking usually "just works" on Linux, but not all wireless cards are supported. If you have any problems with yours, just ask for help.

what about the OS version and updates?
    Any installation will give you the latest version available at the time. Updating is very easy; you just use your package manager. I like to do it weekly.

Sorry for many dumb questions but i really need to know
    There are no dumb questions. There are only dumb people.
    btw, don't put words like HELP!!! in a post; it'll give people a bad impression of you.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Hazel gave a very good response. One addendum regarding wireless: support for wireless hardware on Linux is quite broad, but a lot of distributions don't automatically support them because of either proprietary drivers or firmware. If this is a problem for you, go to Welcome - Linux Wireless for help. They have instructions and links for almost all supported hardware. I have not yet found anything they can't help you with in that regard.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There are no dumb questions. There are only dumb people.
    btw, don't put words like HELP!!! in a post; it'll give people a bad impression of you.
    Actually, sometimes a plea, like "HELP!!!!" is appropriate. Just don't overdo it!
    jayd512 likes this.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    World of warcraft runs good in linux.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast