Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've finally got to the bottom of what has been hammering my graphics card. For a long time it looked like Firefox and WebGL was the culprit as closing it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

The quiet is quite wonderful!

I've finally got to the bottom of what has been hammering my graphics card. For a long time it looked like Firefox and WebGL was the culprit as closing it down would drop the temperature by about 10 degrees. That was only a symptom of the real problem though.

Another symptom was ferocious memory leaks in Xfce panel applets, to the point that the CPU graph would after a mere 2 days be taking nearly 4GB of memory. I'll wait while you read that sentence again!

That 4GB is not a typo.

After much Googling and swearing I finally identified a surprising culprit. The GTK theme called Adwaita. That's right a theme caused all that!

I changed to Raleigh and all is well. There are no more memory leaks and the graphics card idles at a mere 45 - 47 degrees instead of constantly rising to 70 degrees. The fan isn't constantly running at high speed and as I implied in the title, blessed is the silence.

This issue has affected Debian, openSUSE, Mint and Siduction so is not distro specific. I don't know if this is an Xfce only issue or not. I suspect not.

Hopefully, this will be found by someone else wondering what the Hell is hammering my graphics card.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ain't software wonderful? Glad you sorted it out. Any plans on trying to track down the specific bit of code that is leaking?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

It sure is! Software interactions can be subtle and devious. I don't know that I'll have the time to engage in a hefty debugging session as I have too many other things going on.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Found another one...

In my conky I replaced
    Code:
    N V I D I A
    ${hr}
    GPU Tempurature:$alignr${execi 30 nvidia-settings -q gpucoretemp | grep '):' | awk '{print $4}' | cut -c -2}${iconv_start UTF-8 ISO_8859-1}${iconv_stop}
    GPU Processor Frequency:$alignr${execi 30 nvidia-settings -q gpucurrentprocessorclockfreqs | grep '):' | awk '{print $4}' | cut -c -3}MHz
    GPU RAM frequency:$alignr${execi 30 nvidia-settings -q gpucurrentclockfreqs | grep '):' | awk '{print $4}' | cut -c -3}MHz
    with
    Code:
    N V I D I A
    ${hr}
    GPU Tempurature:$alignr${execi 5 nvidia-smi | grep % | awk '{print $3}' | cut -d "C" -f 1}${iconv_start UTF-8 ISO_8859-1}${iconv_stop}
    GPU Fan Speed:$alignr${execi 5 nvidia-smi | grep % | awk '{print $2}'}
    GPU Memory:$alignr${execi 5 nvidia-smi | grep % | awk '{print $10}'} / ${execi 10 nvidia-smi | grep % | awk '{print $12}'} (${execi 10 nvidia-smi | grep % | awk '{print $9}'})
    and the idling temperature dropped by another couple of degrees but with the fan spinning nearly 10% slower (40% as to ~50%) and I'm taking six times as many measurements! They are more interesting measurements also. I'm sure the bash stuff can be simplified further...

Firefox still raises the temperature when I'm scrolling around but as soon as I stop, the temperature starts to drop again. I think things are working as they are meant to

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent