Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just downloaded the gentoo stage2-pentium4-2004.3.tar.bz2 via bittorrent while using my XP system. How do I unzip and unarchive this thing in in XP. I tried using WinRar and Winzip ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

unzip .tar.bz2 in Windows?

I just downloaded the gentoo stage2-pentium4-2004.3.tar.bz2 via bittorrent while using my XP system. How do I unzip and unarchive this thing in in XP. I tried using WinRar and Winzip and can't get it to work. Or is there something else I can do.

Just Joined!
    Try using 7-zip from http://7-zip.org. They have a Windows client, and I KNOW it can do this.

Linux Engineer
    whats the point of unziping this in windows???
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Or try WinRAR.

Linux Engineer

Re: unzip .tar.bz2 in Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by meezike
    I tried using WinRar
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Oh,
    I guess there was a plugin or something, cos I'm sure i had WinRAR working with bzip2 files
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    Reason for unzipping in windows 'cause I want to create the disk using Nero so I can intall gentoo on this computer. Never done it using .tar.bz2 though. I've always just downloaded the iso images and burned them that way to install. Installed Suse on this computer in this way. But gentoo for pentium 4 seems only to be available through bittorrent. Unless creating a bootable disk in this way with this type of file on Windows is impossible...then I will try something else.

...this leads me to another question. How Do I create the bootable disk using .tar.bz2?

well you just use the i686/x86 iso image for a gentoo pentium 4 install, and then optimize it through your make.conf file and kernel config.
    -lakerdonald

Linux Engineer
    You have SuSe?
    why dont you unzip in SuSe, port in into your transfer partition and burn in from windows (you could burn it from linux as well)

Linux Engineer
    here's the tool you need

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast