Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
HI all! The title says it all... win8 keeps bugging me, so I decided to attempt the leap to linux. I need help choosing a distro. * I'm a rather ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

distro best suited for me? I've researched for days but can't decide

HI all!
    The title says it all...
    win8 keeps bugging me, so I decided to attempt the leap to linux. I need help choosing a distro.

* I'm a rather advanced PC user, as long as there is no coding or anything DOS-like involved. I really prefer a graphic interface at all times.
    * I really can't let go of certain windows software: creative suite (photoshop), office, games.
    * Because I am a gamer, it's important that my HW works to it's fullest potential. (Graphics drivers, etc.)
    * I want to be able to customize, style and skin everything as well as change the way things work. I want to adapt the OS to fit me, not the other way round.
    * I really, really want to be able to make the GUI ANY way I like it.
    * I want to avoid all that crappy software I don't even need. Keep it simple! ("wth is framework and why do I need it...")
    * I like eyecandy (who doesn't)
    * My PC is in a homenetwork with windows PC's and a synology NAS for backup. I expect these to work.
    * I've got a high preformance machine (i5, 8GBram, HD5870, intel SSD)

to sum up In a nutshell, what I need:
    Customizability, compatability, simplicity yet lot's of potential and possebilities, Customizability, Customizability, Customizability.

Thank you so much and forgive me for asking this annoying question!

Just Joined!
    I'm not too experienced but from what I have learned it will be a pain to play games on Linux that are designed for Windows... You can finagle, but yea... Sorry. Other than that you can try out MANY different "Live CD's" to find a good match for you. Ubuntu can launch live so you won't lose your data from MS, but if you want to switch from proprietary software most Linux distros come with something smiley You can also partition your drive and use both; Windows for games and photoshop and that for whatever it is that you actually want to do that you can't do now.

I don't know of a better platform to customize your interface or whatever you want than Linux and Ubuntu is great for that!

Not knowing what I was doing I burnt an Ubuntu disk and had my pc up n going with wifi n stuff in about 5 min from live cd. VERY simple! Very friendly! VERY pretty! If I had my other pc i'd install it, but alas it is to complicated for the one I can change atm

I don't think you are ready for linux, Dino_Martino! Your first four priorities are not inclusive. for example:
    "I want to adapt the OS to fit me, not the other way round." & " . . . as long as there is no coding or anything DOS-like involved." are mutually exclusive.
    Customizability brings to mind Slackware, something I know you would not like!

Sorry, your expwctations are not realistic!
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidthmador View Post
    I'm not too experienced but from what I have learned it will be a pain to play games on Linux that are designed for Windows... You can finagle, but yea... Sorry.
    That's what I reckoned too. I already gave up hope on gaming ^^ Doesn't matter, gaming isn't a priority. And if perhaps some distro was more suitable for gaming, I had liked to know.

but if you want to switch from proprietary software most Linux distros come with something smiley
    I've got an adobe creative suite license as well as office 2010. I would like to use them! I want linux to get away from the horror of windows, not away from proprietary software.
    On a related note: how good is wine? Will it be "invisible" and behind the screens once configured right? How about preformance and stability?

You can also partition your drive and use both; Windows for games and photoshop and that for whatever it is that you actually want to do that you can't do now.
    As I will be doing this at first to get linux up and running and get used to it, it's not a final solution since I use a SSD with limited room. And if I'm going to run office and photoshop and games in windows, I'll spend most of my time in windows which obviously isn't what I want.

Thanks for the imput.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by zenwalker View Post
    :
    "I want to adapt the OS to fit me, not the other way round." & " . . . as long as there is no coding or anything DOS-like involved." are mutually exclusive
    So really, linux can't be customised without DOS-stuff? And what if I only want to change the GUI, not the gears grind behind it?

Quote Originally Posted by zenwalker View Post
    I don't think you are ready for linux, Dino_Martino! Your first four priorities are not inclusive. for example
    Sorry, your expwctations are not realistic!
    I know they aren't realistic! They are not expectations nor demands. They are dreams, and I am looking for the linux distro that is easy to use and as close as possible to those dreams...
    I don't expect linux to be 100% perfect for me, I simply expect it to be better than windows.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    For normal desktop uses (and depending on the distro) you don't need to use the terminal much more than in Windows and even then it will mostly be gathering information requested by people on forums. I'm not going try and deny that the terminal can be much more efficient than any GUI for some tasks. If you are going to be configuring web and other servers then the terminal or at least editing configuration files, is going to be required.

Wine is a remarkable project which I have had no need to use for several years so it's probably better now than I remember it. On the Wine HQ web site there is an application database so you can check compatibility, however if you must run Windows software then Windows will generally be more compatible!

Steam has arrived on Linux and in it's first month it gained 2% market share even with very few games available. So if you are a gamer then there is hope for the future.

Although I usually recommend Mint as good first distro, Zorin may be an interesting starting point for you as I believe it has Wine and Play on Linux installed out of the box.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Great thanks.

I'll set up a dual boot and try Mint, Zorin and ubuntu.

Just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding:
    From what I've read I understand that the main differences between different distro's is:
    * the way they manage software
    * the way they interact with hardware
    * default window manager
    So to choose the best one for me I should test which one plays nicest with my hardware and software, is easiest for me to install and manage software, and with the GUI closest to my dream GUI... To start tweaking the GUI to my liking afterwards? (since any distro can be made to look like any distro).
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks guys!

Don't be so scared of the terminal, it is easier than you think and on all the distro and general Linux Forums it is usually easy to get some walk through instruction on what you might want to customize in the beginning.

The Office type suites in Linux are very good replacements for MS Office. I'm not sure what you use in the Creative Suite, but Gimp and Inkscape are equal (if not better) than Photoshop and Illustrator, and are also available for Windows, if you feel better getting around in new software in Windows first just to try them out.

I myself need to start using Gimp and Inkscape while on the Windows at work, too much of a habit opening Photoshop/Illustrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino_Martino View Post
    I know they aren't realistic! . . . They are dreams, and I am looking for the linux distro that is easy to use and as close as possible to those dreams...
    I don't expect linux to be 100% perfect for me, I simply expect it to be better than windows.
    In my experience, GUIs require, at the minimum, writing macros; GUI customization requires knowing syntax and (IMOW) "keepng the brackets straight." Not too difficult, but not what I myself call fun.

And, yes, linux can be for dreamers, too!

Welcome!
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

So really, linux can't be customised without DOS-stuff
    Laughing in the motorcycle shop.

Code:
    ~$ apt-cache policy dosbox
    dosbox:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 0.73+dfsg1-1
      Version table:
         0.73+dfsg1-1 0
            500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe Packages
    See. No dos installed and I run/customize Linux just fine. (Just playing with ya)
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast