Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Thank you all for your great responses! I really appreciate it Ultimately, I would like to write an article for other newbs that have unrealistic expectations of Linux and its ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thank you all for your great responses! I really appreciate it

Ultimately, I would like to write an article for other newbs that have unrealistic expectations of Linux and its branches. This feed back is very important and very good!

I think that I thought that Linux was like alchemy and that just by using any of its parts my life would somehow be just "better"; this is not the case... I feel that someone needs to write something that is definite and that an Admin. wouldn't feel questionable about linking; these "unrealistic" ideas. Yes you can completely customize Linux, but not without know-how; it is unrealistic to believe that THIS OS can read your mind and make your dreams come true. I want to convey this through the eyes of a 24yo newp.

Do you think that this is a good idea or should I give up now? I'm willing to spend a LOT of time on this if the community thinks that it is worth while.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by fanderal View Post
    As you seem to be saying between the lines, Linux isn't about having to accept an OS 'As Is' and working around it to get stuff done. It's more about learning to put together an environment that, once accomplished, has most every creature comfort one could ask for... and actually facilitates one's goals, whatever they may be. Perhaps that's part of what gives Linux "that feeling of life" and makes it enjoyable to use.
    I think you hit it spot on! I have used a LOT of Linux distributions over the past 10+ years. My current home systems (workstation and laptop) run Scientific Linux (a clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3 currently), and most of my work is developing performance engineering software for Red Hat Enterprise systems (I currently am responsible for performance engineering of about 3000 systems supporting over 100M users). Over the years I have used Linux router software you never heard of plus Gentoo, Suse, Ubuntu, Debian (still use for embedded systems), and a number of others.

So, what Linux offers you is freedom. Freedom to configure a system to your specific wants and needs. Freedom to experiment - even to the point of rewriting kernel code. Freedom to use different UI paradigms. Freedom to just use a command line if that is your preference. This is what makes Linux special, and truly ubiquitous.

Enjoy, and do post questions/problems here when you need!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    What if you don't really have a goal? Like in my first post on this forum, I said "I hate MS!", but why? It suits all of my needs. I can check Facebook and my mail and watch movies, so why do I hate it? Sure Linux can do this too, but why such animosity?

What do you mean by "freedom"? That is kind of like an MS user saying that Ubuntu "doesn't do what I want it to"...

This is all in an effort to expel unreasonable expectations that one may have gotten through word of mouth or other means. Linux IS great, but NOT great for everyone, right(ish)? (Though with today's advancements it can be, but why switch name brands from Microsoft to "xxx" just cuz it's free or etc.?)

Basically what I think that I am trying to get at is that general 'net' users that think Linux distros will change their entire computing experience are wrong, but I want to express this in a way that doesn't make the OS seem out of touch or reach, as there are so many versions designed simply for people that just don't want Windows, but want the same experience.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Personally, I don't hate MS (ok, I lie - I do!...). I use it for work (Outlook, Lync video conferencing and VOIP - free calls to anywhere in the world, and such - company computer), but most of my work is with Linux, so I allocate 1/2 of my system's resources (a high-end laptop) to a Linux virtual machine. With a dual monitor setup (24" HD), that works very well - one screen is Red Hat, and the other is Windows 7.
    DonQuixoteMC likes this.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Personally, I don't hate MicroSoft. I feel that, as a company, they did a great deal in bringing personal computing to the masses. And they did so in an amazing fashion. We wouldn't be where we are today if Bill hadn't done such a great job marketing a viable system.

My problems with MS are more on the ethical side... and I keep those opinions to myself.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

As you say, I don't hate MS, I just hate the direction they have gone with it. Course, I could say the same thing about Ubuntu and it's switch to Unity.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Except for Windows. I think the only thing I ever leased in life was a topless fill in the blank kind of dance.

Guess which was more enjoyable. Which one also gave me more bang for my bucks.

What do you mean by "freedom"?
    LOL. I be a sick Puppy.

But aint it nice that all the distro/linux choices cover everything from servers, media centers,home users, old gear, firewalls, aircrack, just to name a few freedom paths one can take vs this is all you can get and if it won't run. Well too bad sucka. You shoulda bought a brand new computer. No refunds either. Sucka.
    zenwalker likes this.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

"Except for Windows. I think the only thing I ever leased in life was a topless fill in the blank kind of dance. "

Roky, at least MS only asks for more money every two years, unlike the dancer.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Quote Originally Posted by Smidthmador View Post
    What if you don't really have a goal? . . .

What do you mean by "freedom"? That is kind of like an MS user saying that Ubuntu "doesn't do what I want it to"...
    . . .
    . . . Linux distros . . . there are so many versions designed simply for people that just don't want Windows, but want the same experience.
    If no goal, why use a tool ?
    fanderal and rubberman answered and added to admirably just what the technical aspects of freedom entail, while roky put it in lay terms very well, indeed.

Should a person have been born A.R. (After Reagan, circa 1980), it is understandable a point of reference with regards to Freedom is lacking. Perhaps it is the perspective we older users possess that makes many of us value the Liberty side of Freedom more than the Free Beer side. 'Tis a pity, but reality is what it is!

Yes, there is a plethora of distros catering to the MS refugee, most of whom don't really know what they are getting into . . . so, best wishes in your endeavor to be impartial and objective!
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

I use Linux for everything that I need to use a PC for. I don't have a Windows machine - or a Mac; I do have an Android tablet and phone. Surf, email, word process, etc, etc. I've never found anything that i want to do that I can't.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast