Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jayd512
  • 1 Post By elija
  • 1 Post By Lakshmipathi
I happen to be enrolled in some college courses... and some of the mid-term/final term papers are coinciding with each other. So here we go... This is not a flame ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Not a flame debate.... yet it is a good debate. :^)

I happen to be enrolled in some college courses... and some of the mid-term/final term papers are coinciding with each other. So here we go...

This is not a flame debate. Just a question of what you might think.
    One class wants a paper on "Open Office vs MS Office".
    Other class wants a basic argument of one thought against another... so I decided on "Open-Source vs Proprietary".

I wanted to weave the two together. I already have several citations prepared... but your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Critical thinking is crucial here... I don't want any replies of "XXXXX sucks"...
    Or if you give that... why do they suck?
    DonQuixoteMC likes this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Excellent topics Jayd. MS Office - limited systems supported (no Unix/Linux support - only Windows and some Apple OSX). Open source vs. proprietary softare - open source encourages people to fix bugs and security vulnerabilities. Proprietary software cannot be changed or fixed until the owner decides to do so. The results are that proprietary software is more vulnerable to security exploits than FOSS tools/applications.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Excellent topics Jayd. MS Office - limited systems supported (no Unix/Linux support - only Windows and some Apple OSX). Open source vs. proprietary softare - open source encourages people to fix bugs and security vulnerabilities. Proprietary software cannot be changed or fixed until the owner decides to do so. The results are that proprietary software is more vulnerable to security exploits than FOSS tools/applications.
    Thanks, Rubberman! Agreed or not, I'm looking for replies like that
    Subject(+)... Argument(-)......

*EDIT*
    Yes... I wanna keep it simple! :^)
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Thanks, Rubberman! Agreed or not, I'm looking for replies like that
    Subject(+)... Argument(-)......
    Good luck with your term papers/tests Jayd! I'm sure you will do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Good luck with your term papers/tests Jayd! I'm sure you will do well.
    <chuckle>... I already have this one covered. I just want other opinions from folks who are 'in the know' when it comes to "Linux vs MS vs OSX".
    Knowledgeable thoughts..... those thoughts are all over the place on the Web....
    Especially here.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    For me it mostly comes down to control and trust.

Trust: While I rarely look at the source code for the applications that I run I can if I want to and so can anyone else. This openness and freedom is going to keep coders honest. It is impossible to know for sure that proprietary and closed source software isn't spying on my every move, logging everything I do, have built in kill switches or back doors. The rational part of my brain admits that this is most likely not the case, after all, if they were ever found out, it would be commercial suicide. There is no way for me to know for sure though!

Control: Who is going to control how I do my computing? Me, who has my own best interests at heart or a corporation who only cares for the profits of the corporation and to hell with my freedom and interests? I believe that's what the kids call a "no-brainer"

I also find that open source software is more stable (as in wobbly) and less problematic over all than proprietary software which is probably due to the mostly non profit driven development model it follows; there is no pressure to get it out the door to get the money coming in. Open source often does get released early, however it is clear that it is early in the development cycle and it is mostly for people to get involved in the project.

Good luck with your papers Jayd.
    DonQuixoteMC likes this.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Re. Elija's comment. Being able to review source code can be incredibly useful. I needed to get system performance stats directly from the system in /proc, and being able to review the code for sysstat/sar I was able to discover easily how to do that. The other way would have been endless hours of painstaking research and experimentation. Build on the work of others, and then contribute your improvements back to the community. That is what FOSS is all about - helping each other be more effective, efficient, and enterprising (Rubberman's 3-E's of resource utilization - I just made that up!).

Some views against Proprietary. They are not compatible with Open/LibreOffice. They ensure documents created via Open/libreOffice won't even open in MSoffice.
    Thus they want complete monopoly.

Two weeks back, everyone in my team updated single MS doc. and shared it with mailing list. I was the last one, added my status report in the same doc via libreoffice. During conference ,
    When we tried to open the document. It didnt open!

I agree there is nothing wrong in making money with your software but some proprietary software people get too greedy.
    DonQuixoteMC likes this.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

I just wanted to let you guys know that your input was invaluable. It helped with what I needed.
    Jay

New Member FAQ