Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Nah, I don't keep a cheat sheet. I've been knockin around 'puters since dinosaurs roamed the earth. I grew up next door to a computer engineer and I crawled the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Nah, I don't keep a cheat sheet. I've been knockin around 'puters since dinosaurs roamed the earth. I grew up next door to a computer engineer and I crawled the ARPAnet with a spider from his trash80 back when most TVs still ran on vacuum tubes.

There are several pre-made distros that focus on security / repair / recovery / forensics. Go knock around distrowatch, download a few and start to play with them. Then, after you get your groove build one of your own that has just the tools you like to use in it. (Not that hard.)

As far as the pxe goes: They're not that hard to build, there are step by step directions on the web, and they come in handy for both local and network jobs. If you've got a system that has been infected with BIOS level malware the quickest way to fix it is to have your pxe already built, then slip stream the BIOS installer in to the pxe, burn a copy, boot it locally and reflash the BIOS. PXEs come in handy for tons of stuff.

UBCD = Ultimate boot CD. DL it and learn how to use it. There's a win based version out there too, but you have to do some building; similar in some ways to a pxe. And Hiren's disc is good too. Just google "rescue cd" and you'll get a ton of hits.

A good bootable *nix based virus scan / repair disc is always good to have. Several name brand AVs have ones you can DL for free; Kaspersky had a good one, if it's still free get it.

And you'll need some cloning and recovery tools. There are tons of options out there. Many are *nix based and free. Do some googles and poke around distrowatch.

Learn how to back up any OS with all of it's custom settings, just the way you like it, and all of your data and have the tools and know how to move it all to different hardware. This is a skill set that can really save your bacon.

That should keep you busy for a while. And when you've been doing it for a good long while you'll pick up stuff that they don't teach in books or list on the web; like the really cool old school deep system utilities that were originally written for XP that still work on 7 and open functions and capabilites that most whippersnappers don't even know exist!
    Last edited by Steven_G; 05-22-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by leaf_also View Post
    I am not sure I want to get into making cables, just to save money.
    Is there a "qualitative" or "get your ass out of a jam" reason?
    the motivating factor for me is just the fun in doing it

Good reason for making your own cables is cable length, carry a spool of cable and make them to the length you need, no need to carry varying lengths of premade cables only to be a foot short and have to move things around.

Plus the WOW, he just made me a custom cable.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    Good reason for making your own cables is cable length, carry a spool of cable and make them to the length you need, no need to carry varying lengths of premade cables only to be a foot short and have to move things around.

Plus the WOW, he just made me a custom cable.
    yeah, good one - cable lengths.

i thought of another thing, too: i've made my own null modem serial cables, for logging in from one box to another over the serial/com port. those are not easy to find in stores, and are expensive, if you do find them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2