Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
What should you take to certain places and events, examples Installfest: power strip, laptop & AC/DC power, book?, distro cd's. Grandma's house to set up a computer: tool kit for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Go Bag, tool kit, repair kit; take what, to get computer,nets up.

What should you take to certain places and events,
    examples

Installfest: power strip, laptop & AC/DC power, book?, distro cd's.

Grandma's house to set up a computer: tool kit for computer or network,
    ethernet cable, etc.

So, are their any special cables, wires, or tools that you find handy?

Trusted Penguin
    hello and welcome!

i find having a cross-over ethernet cable to be handy. auto-sensing network ports are common place these days, but grammy probably has a relic PC.

Just Joined!
    Thanks atreyu, for answering my query.
    As per your suggestion, I just finished reading 2 articles on these cross-over ethernet cables and
    I will buy one when I next go to the store. They Do seem useful indeed and inexpensive.

Granny was a purely fictional example, well almost.
    The house, that I am in now, has old and flakey telephone wiring. I need to buy some new telephone wiring in the next few days;
    so that reminded me of possible ethernet cable needs, for a future event or environment.

Do you guys have tools or consumables that have helped you at YOUR events?

Scissors or Wire cutters for stripping and cutting telephone cable.
    Working Telephone box with drop line connection from a pole.
    Battery concrete impact drill for going through outside walls. Screwdriver bits for drill also as well as concrete bits.

Edit: forgot plastic or lead anchor plugs and coarse sheet metal or wood screws for fastening telephone jacks and clamps.

Telephone jack boxes.
    Spool of telephone cable.
    4 in 1 screwdriver (philips and flathead)
    plastic clamps for outside wall and inside wall for securing phone line neatly.
    Staple Gun
    A plan for how to route phone line as unobtrusive as possible.

After phone lines or cable/coax (depending on service) has been ran. Then routers and ethernet hard line or wireless for me comes next.
    The previous is the backbone though I get done first. Makes for shorter runs in the long run.

I am a biker though with lot's of tools so this is nothing complicated to do for me. Aint awake yet. Howdy and welcome from me also.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thanks rokytnji,
    Sounds like you do a very good job of telephone wiring.
    I'll be giving this more study and getting good equipment.

Like I said. I was not awake. Now 3 sheets in the wind after treating my girl on Mothers Day and touching bases with my Mom.

Poor mans clamping phone line tip to save money on clamping lines outside and inside the house.

Take your scissors. Grab some empty bread bags. Cut 1/2"/14mm wide long strips out of the bread bag. Make a ton of them about 6 inches long (153MM).

Wrap those 6inch strips around the wire where you wish to clamp it to wood (plaster not so good at holding staples)
    Use the staple gun to fasten wire to the wood. The extra plastic acts as a buffer from letting the staple gun wire from
    cutting the phone line wire over time. Don't wrap the wires with the plastc strips with the 6 inch edge longways.
    Use the 1/2 inch edge against the wire and thumb and index finger to roll plastic around the wire to get best results.
    You will have a thick insulated half inch section of wire that you can staple and it will last longer than you think.

Finished. Poor Mans, Labor Intensive, telephone wire clamping system. Or. Just buy the plastic c clamps with a hole in them and use screws.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the follow-up, rokytnji,
    That bread wrapper thing seems very practical.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by leaf_also View Post
    As per your suggestion, I just finished reading 2 articles on these cross-over ethernet cables and
    I will buy one when I next go to the store. They Do seem useful indeed and inexpensive.
    or buy a crimper and learn to make them yourself. you get to learn something, more affordable in the long run, and (best part) you get your geek on.

Granny was a purely fictional example, well almost.
    yeah, i figured. the internet abounds with amusing My granny's PC anecdotes...

Do you guys have tools or consumables that have helped you at YOUR events?
    Coffee or Monster, depending on the time of day.

I've got a ton of tools that I've compiled over the years that come in handy when you run in to stuff that just decides to go boom! Too many to list off of the top of my head. But any good computer tool kit should include a good customized recovery centric *nix distro, a customized win pxe with tools, UBCD, etc.

Just Joined!
    Thanks atreyu,
    I am not sure I want to get into making cables, just to save money.
    Is there a "qualitative" or "get your ass out of a jam" reason?

Thanks Steven_G,
    I will look for info on Linux rescue cd or a "customized recovery centric *nix distro",
    as you put it. On this forum there must be threads on this; so I'll be seachin.

I did not know what pxe or UBCD were, but I looked them up in wiki.

The Preboot eXecution Environment (PXE, also known as Pre-Execution Environment; sometimes pronounced "pixie")
    is an environment to boot computers using a network interface independently of data storage devices (like hard disks)
    or installed operating systems.

Ultimate Boot CD for Windows or UBCD4Win is a bootable recovery CD (live CD) that contains software used for repairing,
    restoring, and diagnosing many computer problems. It is based on BartPE.[1]
    All these sound useful, though pxe sounds a bit advanced and also pxe sounds more useful for remote usage.
    Do you keep a cheat sheet or turorial for usage of utilities on either hard copy or cd or stick?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast