Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I am wondering what the general consensus is on using older web browsers. As i am interested in using a web browser that has been discontinued since about 2006. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Web Browsers

Hey,
    I am wondering what the general consensus is on using older web browsers. As i am interested in using a web browser that has been discontinued since about 2006.

My dilemma is however i am not sure of the risks involved in using an older web browser.
    I know that in terms of current standards the web browser won't support things like html5, add-ons like ghostery, adblock, etc... which i am not hugely fussed about. But what i am really not sure about is security...

For example are current web browsers just as secure as some of the older ones (discontinued) in terms of vulnerability?

I know it depends on the website, firewalls, etc... but i am talking about just the browser itself. Take using Netscape against Safari?

Safari is more recent but in terms of functions Netscape is better, but is Netscape more secure than Safari even though its 7 years old?

Please pardon me if I do not answer directly and/or seem to be making an assumption which may leave me looking like the first three letters of the word, but have you heard of Seamonkey?
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Quote Originally Posted by zenwalker View Post
    Please pardon me if I do not answer directly and/or seem to be making an assumption which may leave me looking like the first three letters of the word, but have you heard of Seamonkey?
    Yes, Seamonkey is my current and my favorite web browser. Personally i find it less resource intensive than Firefox and has a lot more features and more stable even when using beta versions of Seamonkey.

I am simply curious about the risks if any in using an older web browser (possibly even a discontinued one) for my own understanding. As well as i have friends that are using old web browsers, and i wanted to advise them otherwise if there are any risks.

I have no intentions of switching my current primary web browser, but it may provoke some testing of the older web browsers for interest sake.

The older the browser, the less likely it is to display 100% of the pages content correctly, but you say your not fussed about that. Security wise, browsers patch and update their code constantly to counter security threats and exploits. If you go with an older browser you will leave yourself more vulnerable.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    The older the browser, the less likely it is to display 100% of the pages content correctly, but you say your not fussed about that. Security wise, browsers patch and update their code constantly to counter security threats and exploits. If you go with an older browser you will leave yourself more vulnerable.
    That's what i thought.

Just wasn't 100% certain. lol it depends on how badly it messes up the display of content.

In my Antix 12 os I use the Konqueror and Seamonkey ( Iceape ) browsers for secure computing upon the Internet.
    My PCLinuxOS gnome os has been discontinued but I am addicted to the ease of using Gnome 2 and use Seamonkey
    mostly, but use Galeon for my website, and Epiphany for my local newspaper's ad filled website.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

I have come to the conclusion no browsers are secure. What I do now is use a separate account for browsing (that can only access it's own information - don't put it in user groups etc), that I wipe every now and then after exporting bookmarks. It's probably good enough for most stuff but I still keep online banking on a separate install.

If I had to run something I really did not trust on the net I'd do it in a vm, install and snapshot the vm before letting it loose on the net then restore the snapshot as regurlarly as necessary.

At a minimum ALL web browsing should be done in hardened VM with a hardened browser, if you have the hardware to support running it. And, if not then you should look in to buying something a little newer down at the pawn shop, at yard sales or thrift stores.

Another good and secure option is to use a live linux cd (or usb).