Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes
Gentlemen, Please!! You are going to get this thread closed because " political opinions " are not allowed on Linux Forums!! Please Read The Rules!!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gentlemen, Please!! You are going to get this thread closed because " political opinions " are not allowed on Linux Forums!!
    Please Read The Rules!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    Gentlemen, Please!! You are going to get this thread closed because " political opinions " are not allowed on Linux Forums!!
    Please Read The Rules!!

UM, this is all about tech and the need for anonymity.

If they close it they close it.

If they ban me they ban me.

Right now less than 3% of our population is willing to speak out on these issues.

Until that changes things will only continue to get worse until one day many, many decades from now we'll all be genetically selected before conception for "perfection" and have chips planted in our brains in the incubators while we grow to maturity.

It's all about control. The control is being brought about by wiring everyone and everything together.

Computers have the power to elevate the human condition.

Networks have the potential to be abused and make slaves of us all.

Read up on the NSA's Bluffdale facility.

Free your mind and your ass will follow!

And a good working knowledge of network anonymity don't hurt either.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 05-23-2013 at 04:46 AM.

Linux User
    Dude, you should write screenplays, or video games, or something. You got some imagination. And you're even more paranoid than me. You remind of this guy I work with. He writes screenplays, works to pay the bills. He's smart as hell, super nice guy, and conversation is always interesting and animated.

But cousinlucky is right, this is the wrong place for this discussion. Too much passion in this thread, and too much bad language too.

Adios. Peace and Cheer.

Art imitates life imitates art.

Our imaginations expressed through various story telling media warn of the possible perils ahead.

1984 was publish in 1949. In the interceeding 64 years much of what Orwell wrote about has come to pass because not many listened to his warnings about the perils of an ever expanding surveillance state.

I'm not saying George was 100% right. I'm not saying I am 100% right.

I am saying that it is human nature to try to controll those around you. To establish a "pecking order" and to strive to be the one on top of the heap. Technology and media now allow a few megalomaniacs to amplify that drive until it subjugates millions. And unless we start to speak and act and vote with our wallets and at the voting booths and with our feet now then the human condition will only continue to worsen as absolute power over every moment of your life through total surveillance is eventually consolidated in to the hands of a few world class narcissistic psychopaths.

Think N. Korea as the example: For all intents and purposes the entire population is enslaved through surveillance (mostly human agents rather than tech) and serving a small ruling class which is headed by one world class nutjob.

And if you look back through most of human history that actually pretty much describes most every civilization that has ever existed.

The last ~1000 years of ever expanding personal liberties is an aberration in human history; much of which was brought about by technological changes.

And when you get right down to it what I and a few others are talking about is not otherworldly flights of fancy, but rather mean reversion to the norm by using the very technology that freed the population to re-enslave it; thus resolving the anomaly.

In other words: during this one rare, precious moment in history where all of us working class schlubs have rights and liberties if we don't all stand up now to perserve those rights and liberties for our childrens, childrens, children then all those rights and liberties will be stripped away in the tide of history and technology will become our oppessor rather than our liberator.

However, 3% of the population cannot achieve this. So we try to warn you and are written off as nutjobs; despite the evidence before your very eyes that for most of us our lives will not be as good as our parents lives were and our childrens lives will not be as good as ours.

So while you all bury your head in the sand and feed on the new opiate of the masses, namely always on trivial media, I will do my best to ingratiate myself to our new overlords by becoming one of the priests of the currently faddish temple: surveillance technology; via achieving an MS Info Sec.

Then, as the standard of living degrades, so long as the master is pleased with how well I lick his boots I will at least eat well; while you starve in the Gulag because I processed this mornings' report from your toilet showing that you haven't taken your medication for the last 3 days.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 05-24-2013 at 02:58 AM.

Linux User
    You can write too. And you maintain a point. That's good. It makes your stuff readable. Hey, it's Friday, I'm dog-tired from work, don't feel like doing anything else, so let's have a go at this one.

First of all, what you say makes sense. Yes, our parents had it good. Once in a millenium there's a 50 year span where the Ordinary Joe actually does well. Unionized jobs, usable health care, cheap products, good wages, etc etc. These days things are not the same, and they are getting worse. I live in Canada, you in the States, but we're all in the same boat.

So what makes this 50 year time span (1945-1995) unique?

It came after a great shifting of power. A bunch of really nasty wars were fought, lots of sh*t was blowed up, dictators were ousted, the old was turfed, and the new was ushered in.

Well, as you see, it only takes a few generations for the money-grubbing parasites to get a fresh grip, and things return to normal.

I have an issue:

I hear in the papers everyday, "The government should do this! The government should do that!"

This is the very source of the problem of which you speak. The "government" was not designed to coddle people. And if you want to be coddled by the "government", you will pay the price.

Since the dawn of time, if you got hurt doing something stupid, tough luck.

Up here in BC, once upon a time, we had something called "Workers Compensation". If you got hurt in a mining camp accident, they'd pay you to shut up while you laid there with your leg in the air, healing and taking painkillers. Nice idea.

Well, you can imagine that got abused pretty bad. Then they changed it to "WorkSafe BC". Now you might get some money after your bosses crappy scaffolding collapsed and nearly killed you, but not until you go back to work. For the same dumbass who didn't care about you to begin with. Oh they still screw the employers over for big premiums, but nobody gets any money because you have to prove "lost wages". And if you don't go back to work for the guy, you essentially quit on the day you got injured, and "WorkSafe BC" doesn't have to cough up dough.

If you think I'm digressing, that little story has to do with lard-asses shitting in their chairs, getting paid big bucks to do nothing. Everyone wants their children to have a better life, so go to University! Get yourself a job where you don't have to lay tile, or pipe, or pavement. Get a job where you're net productivity is less than zero and you live off the avails of the poor sods who actually do something with their time. And YES! Those poor sods are so busy working, they'll never get around to yanking your leech lips off their ass.

Peace and Cheer.

I agree, it's a separate but tangentially related issue. I could rant for days about how people have let themselves become childlike over the last few decades and now not only no longer know how to rely on themselves but don't know how to rely on anyone other than the nanny state. Which, of course, affords these ego maniacs the opportunity to read all of your emails "because it will make you safer".

This also goes a long way towards explaining why anyone who speaks out passionately on the subject is usally written off as a loon. No one likes to look at the boogey man; much less admit that they just rolled over, played dead and invited him in.

Unfortunately what "they" consider dangerous and actual danger is usually two different things. For example, a few years back, I was working on a base and the head of DHS made a speach that said one of the (then) new guide lines for spotting a potential terrorist was the person being a veteran. You could have heard a pin drop when that played on the TV in the break room.

Now, you don't have to tell me that there a lot of bad apples in law enforcement, both civilian and military. I did a combo of both for several years and then got in to security. However, despite the ever growing number of bad apples, at least for now most of the people still want to "protect and serve". (Although I got out because that is changing rapidly.)

But, just because of a few bad apples, to paint all the people who are willing to lay down their lives to protect you as terrorist is disgusting.

However, they had a darn good reason to do it. We are not sheeple. We have shown that we are willing to die to preserve liberty. That makes us a threat of the highest order.

Anyone who sacrifices liberty for security deserves neither.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3