Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok well let me introduce my self my name is cannon I'm 16 and I root smart phones as a hobby at the bowling alley I work at. Recently I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The need for knowledge

Ok well let me introduce my self my name is cannon I'm 16 and I root smart phones as a hobby at the bowling alley I work at.

Recently I have been making a lot of money rooting phones but the computers at my job are all intergrated into a system called stellatronic which is very laggy and causes a lot of spontaneous problems during rooting processes... Anyways I will soon be ready to purchase a laptop for my needs. If this forum website is anything like Xda I will be able to learn quite quickly.

So my question is what is a nice computer to buy and then which distro should I use... I would like a very light weight distro. I will be using fastboot.exe and alot of different drivers also I am a speed junky and my use for online gaming in the future. But be warn I am very knew to computers past windows

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Speedy distro? Very new . . . hmmm . . . take a look at, not the latest and greatest, but at PCLinuxOS LXDE Desktop and other distros with lite DEs (or just a Windows Manager) as a suggestion, distro-wise that is

Welcome!
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

So you have been using a Microsoft based computing system which runs the bowling system at work to root smart phones ... and your going to use the money you make from doing this to buy a laptop ... and you have posted this information on an internet forum that anyone - including your employer can read ... brave move!

Just Joined!
    I rooted the bowling ally owners phone a razr maxx hd

Just Joined!
    I completely neglected to say I wanted a laptop... In my mind I wanted an alienware 11x or 15x running ubuntu but you all are a lot more knowledge filled and I will base my decisions directly on your replys

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    From personal experience I can recommend high-mid range or over Toshiba laptops as excellent performers and good value for money. Even if they are not cheap! It's discontinued now but this is a blinding laptop; and I know as I have one!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Toshiba was also in mind but what distro should I use?

You say you will be using fastboot.exe. That is a windows file. See this link: How to set up ADB and Fastboot Easily - DroidBeans, for info on using fastboot-linux instead.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Quote Originally Posted by c2a5nn1o4n View Post
    ... I would like a very light weight distro. . . . I am a speed junky and my use for online gaming in the future . . . I am very knew to computers past windows . . .
    . . . Toshiba was also in mind but what distro should I use?
    What -- didn't hear what you wanted to hear?

Judging by your listed requirementst above, I stick with my first recommendation, PCLOS LXDE or PCLXDE (both the same distro). In addition, the format of the online mag and online forum will probably be to your liking. It was released December of 2012.

Don't go with the lxde-mini version, it woul be too hard for you.

Begin learning simply and simply learn!
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

... Anyways I will soon be ready to purchase a laptop for my needs.
    this is why I mentioned a laptop, I don't necessarily think this is the best tool for the job & don't know the exact circumstances ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    So you have been using a Microsoft based computing system which runs the bowling system at work to root smart phones ... and your going to use the money you make from doing this to buy a laptop ... and you have posted this information on an internet forum that anyone - including your employer can read ... brave move!
    I rooted the bowling ally owners phone a razr maxx hd
    completing the activity for a particular individual does not change things much - the primary purpose of the system you are using is contol of the bowling alleys, I assume it's the reason for the business and you being employed there ...
    I have no idea if the system has POS linked in for example, which would give you a major problem in the event of a security breach ... because you would probably have to attempt to prove that any activities you have been completing have not resulted in the system compromise.

I completely neglected to say I wanted a laptop... In my mind I wanted an alienware 11x or 15x running ubuntu but you all are a lot more knowledge filled and I will base my decisions directly on your replys
    people will reply based on the information you provided and how they intepret it ... the best person to make a decision about what matches your use case is you ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast