Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 Sounds similar to what pkgsrc can do. Another issue with creating your own package management system is you have to have the hardware and services to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    Sounds similar to what pkgsrc can do.
    Another issue with creating your own package management system is you have to have the hardware and services to keep it running and maintained. Which means you will need a dedicated server running 24-7 to house software packages that are likely going to be unique and not compatible with existing systems after compiled from source.
    This will be a lot of work... not something one person can do overnight, not to dishearten you at all but look at the existing distributions they would have more than a handful of people that are consistently updating and maintaining there repositories.
    Compared to using a pre-existing package manager, that you could potentially just mirror i.e. Ubuntu, Debian, Mint or Red Hat initially until you get it up and running. This saves you time and money setting up your own server.

Do you have the resources and time needed to create and mature your own package management system?

If your aiming for stability and ease of use, your going to have a lot of competition with existing Linux Distributions (e.g. Debian, OpenSUSE, Red Hat) and even PC-BSD and GhostBSD.

What is going to separate yours from the rest and makes it unique?

Why should someone use your linux distro over others in a similar category?
    The issue of hosting a repository is something I have been thinking about for some time now. Because the package management system I have been describing so far does not need to resolve dependencies, distributing software would be as simple as giving links to the packages in dropbox or google drive until I have the money to buy (or rent) a server.

Another more elegant solution could be to provide GUI programs to allow users to set up their own servers, including package servers, so that hopefully lots of users host their own third party 'app stores', in some ways similar to Ubuntu's PPAs. Not only would it (briefly) save the maintainers of the distro the work involved in hosting repositories, it would also make the new distro a truly open OS and platform.

I ought to mention at this point that I am in a position where I have very few time constraints and am happy to work on this distro for 20 years or more if by the end of it I have the perfect OS. I know it will be a massive amount of work, but that's one of the reasons I'm doing it. It's a challenge. And I have all the time in the world.

In terms of resources, I can write code in c, html, javascript, css, c# and bash and can read and write very basic code in c++ and python.

The main things that will be unique about this distro will be a new desktop environment (as I said earlier, inkscape mock-up to come ) and an intuitive system of package management which actually seems more similar to android's system than any linux distro.

It is easy to think "How can I compete?" when looking at other distros such as Ubuntu and Fedora. However, Ubuntu itself stared as a fork of Debian with more up to date software. The most popular distros come from humble origins.

I'm not bothered if nobody else uses this distro. So long as it's a good OS, I'm happy.

Your suggested modifications to DE sound more like the sort of things for themes rather than an entirely new DE. Drag and drop install sounds like a bad idea from a securty viewpoint and may encourage the wrong sort of approach to installing applications. If you really want something to be used on a server then you may need to re-think the approach - a GUI is optional and may not be available.

I suggest you make a list of the things you want to do and then tackle them in the appropriate order of priorty for you. Something delivered next month is more valuable than everything delivered never, and will help motivate you (and anyone else who may be helping you). Also I suggest you have a think about whether you need a DE or a WM will do what you want. As far as package management is concerned I suggest you look at something that already does most of what you want ... it's going to be much easier to adjust/optimise something that already works than writing something from scratch. You might want to look at this as well ...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    Your suggested modifications to DE sound more like the sort of things for themes rather than an entirely new DE. Drag and drop install sounds like a bad idea from a securty viewpoint and may encourage the wrong sort of approach to installing applications. If you really want something to be used on a server then you may need to re-think the approach - a GUI is optional and may not be available.

I suggest you make a list of the things you want to do and then tackle them in the appropriate order of priorty for you. Something delivered next month is more valuable than everything delivered never, and will help motivate you (and anyone else who may be helping you). Also I suggest you have a think about whether you need a DE or a WM will do what you want. As far as package management is concerned I suggest you look at something that already does most of what you want ... it's going to be much easier to adjust/optimise something that already works than writing something from scratch. You might want to look at this as well ...
    Thanks for the advice and link

I see what you are saying about drag and drop installing being a security problem, as well as the issues with a GUI on server. This project is in very early stages, so all input is helpful and welcome.

I have created a blog at altolinux.wordpress.com (Sorry, URLs do not seem to be working... Need more posts...) where I will be posting more information for the new distro (I have chosen the name Alto for no particular reason, other than it's easy to remember and means 'higher' in italian), including designs for the package manager, mockups of the DE/theme and information regarding its development. If you feel like taking part, feel free to comment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2