Find the answer to your Linux question:
For LF members that are interested in this case: Jeremy Hammond Pleads Guilty in Stratfor Hack, Could Serve 10 Years in Prison - New York - News - Runnin' Scared...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Jeremy Hammond Update

For LF members that are interested in this case:
    Jeremy Hammond Pleads Guilty in Stratfor Hack, Could Serve 10 Years in Prison - New York - News - Runnin' Scared
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

The e-mails from Stratfor, a corporate intelligence company with corporate clients and deep ties to federal intelligence agencies--contained a number of disturbing revelations about the efforts of corporate and government intelligence groups to go after peaceful activists. It was through the Stratfor leak that the world learned of a secret federal indictment against Julian Assange. The e-mails also showed that the Department of Homeland Security was monitoring the Occupy Wall Street movement, and that Texas law enforcement had planted an undercover operative in Occupy Austin.
    Texas can be such a drag sometimes.

Outside the courthouse after the hearing, Michael Ratner, the former president of the Center for Constitutional Rights and the lawyer representing Wikileaks and Julian Assange, said the prosecution of Hammond is part of a larger war on transparency activists.
    Yep StevenG. Big Brother is winning.

Now that I have pleaded guilty it is a relief to be able to say that I did work with Anonymous to hack Stratfor, among other websites. Those others included military and police equipment suppliers, private intelligence and information security firms, and law enforcement agencies. I did this because I believe people have a right to know what governments and corporations are doing behind closed doors. I did what I believe is right.
    Being right does not make federal prison food taste any better. I wish him the best.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

" Being right does not make federal prison food taste any better. I wish him the best. "
    You're right Roky; Jail is never a pleasant place to be. The most my convictions ever cost
    me was a 14 year job in public transportation.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    The problem with these hacking groups is a simple one. Governments and security agencies are given a bogey man they can point at and say "see, we do need to read all of your emails, listen to your phone calls and log your web visits because of these cyber-terrorists" and somewhat sadly, most people will not question it.

They are not really cyber-terrorists, they are cyber-vandals or at the very worst, cyber-criminals. That's just not as evocative and scary though is it?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    The problem with these hacking groups is a simple one. Governments and security agencies are given a bogey man they can point at and say "see, we do need to read all of your emails, listen to your phone calls and log your web visits because of these cyber-terrorists" and somewhat sadly, most people will not question it.

They are not really cyber-terrorists, they are cyber-vandals or at the very worst, cyber-criminals. That's just not as evocative and scary though is it?
    You know I am for privacy and hate the BS boogy man stories. Unfortunately you're premise is changing rapidly. And the threat is actually growing rapdily on all fronts for many reasons that are simple, yet amazingly complex.

Are you familar with non-linear dynamics? It is the only branch of math that I can think of that actually comes close to describing the way the world really works and not just what we'd like it to be.

Are you familiar with self-organized criticality or strange attractors or the methods through which order can spontaneously erupt from chaos and vice versa or concepts like sensitive dependance on inital conditions and how these underlying universial concepts govern everything from the equilbrium of populations in a pond, to your heartbeat, to the red spot on Jupiter, to how your brain grows, to how a network grows? (And how similar those last two truly are?)

(A good palce to start is MIT's Open Courseware on Chaos 101.)

When I get far enough along, in a few years, some version of this will probably end up working its way in to my thesis.

There are simply too many connections and it is all growing in unpredictable ways.

I could sit here for days and expound on connections between political events (not politics) and world events and technical events. But, this is not the place for that.

For our sake simply let it be said that we are wiring everyone and everything together and one of the unforseen and impossible to predict consequences (due to the non-linear deterministics) of that is the enormous number of holes in such highly complex systems that are ripe for severe abuse by very simple means with potentially devestating results across scales from personal to world threatening.

You guys do realize that for $500, with no more skillz than your average 60 year old neighborhood grocer, you can go buy a program that will let you remotely break in to the computers of probably every non tech savvy person you know and syphon all of their bank accounts off in to the dark and "unreachable" nether regions of the under web. If you can run Quickbooks you can run this.

(And um, just for a V8 moment here, we're *supposed* to be the techies and understand this goofy crap, please tell me that at least 60% [I'd prefer a 100%] of the people reading this not only know what the under web is but how to cruz it!)

You guys do realize that the movie War Games was (kind of, in a Hollywood way) based on actual events? Right? Now the story was blown in to a bunch of BS for the movies. But there was actually an infamous hack of NORAD systems just a few years prior to the movie.

You do realize that the Pentagon just admitted they got hacked to shreds by the Chinese?

The problem is not that the problem is not real. The problem is that the idiots that are publicly "in charge" have their heads so far up their backsides that they can't even see the real issues; much less even begin to have any hope of actually understanding them.

So, based on a 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000% wrong interpretation of events they intentionally scare the crap out of you about all the wrong stuff so you'll roll over and play dead because they honsetly think that you are the problem and reading your e mails will give them the info they need to fix everything! And if you don't want to play their game their way they are looking forward to the day they can make you regret it!

All the while, the powers behind the thrones and the elected officals that actually run the world chortle as we jump and sputter like green pine needles thrown on a bonfire.

And please, please don't tell me you guys actually think the elected poiticians run the world? They're all on the dole. If you want to find out who actually runs the world look to see who is paying the politicians to scare the crap out of you so you'll roll over and play dead.

I'm not going to do all the work for you. Dig a little if you want to really know what is going on. But I'll tell you now it's ugly stuff. The same people are almost always the money behind the problems. They're burning both ends of the candle and squeezing you for every thing they can get out of you in the middle.

And the ever growing interconnectivity of the net is making it easier by the day for the real powers and their public puppets to make sure that you have no place to hide from them while simultaneously being full of holes just big enough for the leaches to suck you dry as the fisherman reels you in.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 06-01-2013 at 12:44 PM.