Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Yeah, I had big assessment today. I got grilled hard. It was troubleshooting, customer service and work ethic. I aced it. I don't want to say who it is, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Yeah, I had big assessment today. I got grilled hard. It was troubleshooting, customer service and work ethic. I aced it.

I don't want to say who it is, but you'd know the name. They're a world leader in the field. I was strong on stuff like BSOD's, VPNs, DNS, DHCP, malware, network connection down, mail and broswer; all of the end point stuff.

But, I sucked at corporate network infrastructure beyond the super basic stuff like your connection is obviously not even pointed at the gateway. I've never been in that environment. I know what a domain controller is and I know how to apply group policy to an end point when physically logged in to that machine. But, I had to admit that I had no idea how to add a new user to a domain.

I knew I had some weak areas and I admitted it. But, I'm also studying to fill those in. I'm currently working on the study guide for 220-801 and 802 (The new A+). I have the new entry level (MCSA) for server 2012 pre-ordered. The first one I could find won't even be published until July. MCSE 2012 study guides won't be out until the end of the year. I'll get them when they come out. I've already got CCNA, Security+, Network+, Linux+ and MySQL on the bookshelf; plus some other stuff.

A few weeks back I finaly put the last of the finishing touches on a super tricked out / customized self-built Ubuntu 12.04 remix that I built from the kernel / cli minimal core install up with all kinds of fun stuff like GNS3 to help me study and learn. It took a year to build and I learned tons. As a matter of fact that's where I picked up basic DHCP and DNS because I put it together wrong the first time and had to fix it.

What really shocked me though was the impression I got from the gist of a lot of the questions. It seems that they are having huge problems with getting people to even shown up for work; which just blows my mind. I'm old school. If I call off of work it's because I'm either at, or headed for, the ER.

Needless to say; I totally nailed work ethic.

I'm a securitie gord wid a GED, 1 year of UoP Gen ED and a solid understanding of endpoints who's willing to bust hump and do whatever it takes to improve. These folks are willing to take good raw material and train you up if you will just show up for work. For entry level they start at a base + performance incentives that totals 40k a year if you hit all of your metrics.

And with that offer, in this economy, they can't find enough folks willing to show up for work!

Amazing!

I think everybody should have to go lay Terracotta tile roofs in the SW desert for at least a year. I did, 30 years ago. When it's 120 on the ground and 160 on the roof you learn right quick what's what when it comes to being glad you're sitting in a nice cushy chair in the AC!

Any way, they told me I'd know within 48-72 hours if I would get to pass go and collect $200.

It took them less than 3 hours to send me the link for my background check!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Congratulations!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Well, I did it. I got my foot in the door. My background already came back and I just got hired for X-Box with a start date 3 weeks from now.

And, I'm still under consideration for corporate infrastructure.

They have been running me in parallel through both departments. Now that my background is back I still have one more interview and one more assessment for corporate infrastructure and CI gets first pick.

They say I should know in ~10 days if I get CI. If I do they will take me away from X-Box.

I'm still hoping for CI, it pays a lot more. But, if I don't get it this time I can knock out some of my certs and get 6 months on the clock and I can apply again.

But, either way, my foot is in the door and I ain't no securitie gord no mo!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Not bad for a former security gord / rent-a-cop! We all wish you the best, and hope to see/hear from you here in the future.

Congrats on the new job!
    Registered Linux user #526930

Well, I did it. I got corporate infrastructure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I start Monday 0900 local!

I probaly won't be around for a few weeks after I start. They're giving me three weeks to get up to speed and fill in all of the holes.

I think I'm going to be just a tinsy bit swamped!

But, I've got a week to kill. I might as well pu it to good use. Does anybody have any good links for basic primers on domain controllers, enterprise resouce software or troubleshooting a network connection through a remote client?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    Well, I did it. I got corporate infrastructure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I start Monday 0900 local!

I probaly won't be around for a few weeks after I start. They're giving me three weeks to get up to speed and fill in all of the holes.

I think I'm going to be just a tinsy bit swamped!

But, I've got a week to kill. I might as well pu it to good use. Does anybody have any good links for basic primers on domain controllers, enterprise resouce software or troubleshooting a network connection through a remote client?
    Just remember my mantra - Google is our friend!
    Also, Wikipedia has a trove of great articles and references to stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Just remember my mantra - Google is our friend!
    Also, Wikipedia has a trove of great articles and references to stuff like this.
    OK, it took me about an hour to find several very good tutorials that will keep me busy for the week. They are just text though. What I am really and still looking for (and if anybody can throw me a link I'd really appreciate it) is something free and interactive. Something along the lines of hackthissite where they drop you in to an interactive simulation. Anybody know of anything like that for ERP or doze network basic admin / troubleshooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    OK, it took me about an hour to find several very good tutorials that will keep me busy for the week. They are just text though. What I am really and still looking for (and if anybody can throw me a link I'd really appreciate it) is something free and interactive. Something along the lines of hackthissite where they drop you in to an interactive simulation. Anybody know of anything like that for ERP or doze network basic admin / troubleshooting?
    If you find one, let me know! Anyway, I'm sure you will do great in your new job. Just remember, that no one knows everything, and telling your "clients" that you will have to do some research and get back to them is not a bad thing, provided you do the research and do get back to them! I know that when I contact a help desk / support team and they do that, I really appreciate the effort they go through to help me, and usually let their "superiors" know that they went that extra step.

Fortunately, virtualisation software allows us to test out the techniques that hackers employ using a single computer, as the examples here show. If you have a home network, you could easily set that up in a similar manner and try these out across multiple computers. Trying out these attacks helps you stop yourself falling prey to them. However, if you try these techniques out against a live server then – unless you have written permission from the owner of the machine – you will be opening yourself up to serious legal ramifications. Just don’t do it.
    This one has screen shots instead of just text.

Buy a cheapo Desktop (Dell corporate or school sale) like These.
    I am not saying buy 36 complete systems, (though you could make your new found wages back pretty quick selling off some complete,screen,mice,keyboard, Linux Boxes).

Glad you found something you enjoy like I did.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast