Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings! I don't really know what the heck to say because I am brand new to Linux and don't know anyone on this site. However, I do want to introduce ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Don't Jostle Justin

Greetings!

I don't really know what the heck to say because I am brand new to Linux and don't know anyone on this site. However, I do want to introduce myself and start getting to know people around here.

I don't know much at all about the subject matter of these forums, so I think it may be a while before I have anything intelligent to contribute regarding code or script and the like, but I'll let you know right now that that's the goal. The main reason I'm installing Linux is to learn how to hack (not crack; I'm aware of the distaste towards the ambiguity of these terms). I hope that one day I would have the honor of actually contributing to the creation of an operating system. It would be such a thrill to have such a deep and thorough understanding of all the cogs and pulleys that make an OS tick.

Why I'm so curious...makes me curious about why I'm so curious. Especially when I hail from a generation of idiots who tend to assault their computer peripherals when an error occurs and call it stupid...as if the computer made some kind of bad decision or judgement call

I have taught myself the basics of object oriented programming in the language of Java via some library books and self-imposed coding exercises. I'm proud of that, but I also realize it probably won't do much for me in hacking my install of Linux other than a having a familiarity with some key terms and concepts in software engineering (like knowing what polymorphism means and what an array is) I also do a bit of HTM and CSS. If my assumptions are right, these little bits of experience may allow me to pick up Python really quickly. I hear it's already regarded as arguably the most beginner friendly language, so hopefully I will learn at a really good rate.

Well I do believe I've pulled a Led Zeppelin and Rambled On. If there's any advice anyone could give me about how to get the most out of learning Linux and learning how to tinker with Linux, it would be much appreciated.

Why I'm so curious...makes me curious about why I'm so curious.
    That is a good thing to suffer from in my book. I could be a redneck tattooed long time harley rider, (which I am), only.

I just happen to think that being a redneck tattoed linux using long time harley rider is more fun to be. I can corner and drag my pipes at 85MPH or
    install a Linux system and then tweak it to the hardware I am using including changing kernels and running scripts.

Something that would make my bros eyes glaze over and make them say, "Duh? WTF! Talk English Rok."

So, I'd grin and say, "Give me a beer out of the chest there".

Well I do believe I've pulled a Led Zeppelin and Rambled On.
    Along with Jimi Hendrix "Born Free". 2 of my favorite (gots lots of em) scooter songs .

Howdy and Welcome and Happy Trails, Rok

Some of my favorite bookmarks

Googlubuntu - Ubuntu and Kubuntu search engine based on google

GRUB 2 bootloader - Full tutorial

Debian Search

Puppy Google Search

Entertainment for when you are trouble shooting to relax the mind. I stream this in xmms player. You can use your own.

SomaFM: Listener Supported, Commercial Free Internet Radio
    SoundCloud Downloader - download from Soundcloud
    https://soundcloud.com/howtodestroyangels

Sorry I jostled ya.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 06-11-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Glad to have you in the house, but I can't promise we'll never jostle Justin. We're a pretty friendly bunch though, so it shouldn't happen often.
    Registered Linux user #526930

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    welcome aboard, Justin!

if you want to learn, don't fear to try (and often, to break).

yeah, Python is pretty easy to learn. So easy, I haven't bothered learning it (yet). I'm still whoring my relic Perl skilz around.

writing an OS from scratch is quite a feat. GNU/Linux will be hard to top, as Open Source goes. Perhaps you mean "author your own niche Linux distro"? That is quite a common trend. It is most common to just leverage the work of one of the main distros (Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, etc.) and make your Spin from it, with your own customized Desktop Manager, art, and other bells and whistles. Check out DistroWatch for a good list of the current Linux offerings.

you might also be interested in Linux From Scratch, at least from a philosophical perspective. It guides you through building all the packages by hand, from within a minimal compiler tool-chain environment.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Everyone here was a Linux newbie once upon a time, and we are all still learning! I've been building, using, developing Unix-type systems for 30 years, and I am still amazed at how much I don't know, and how much all these fine folks here have helped me over the past few years.

Rule 1: Google is your friend.
    Rule 2: Study the subject at hand.
    Rule 3: Ask if you don't know and can't find the answer on your own.
    Rule 4: Help out if/when you can.

Very often we get questions here that I cannot answer, yet usually a quick Google or Wikipedia search will bring up the answers (or pointers to the answers) that are needed, illustrating Rule 1.

Some tools and applications are very complex to use properly, yet the information required (man pages, configuration files, on-line FAQs, etc) is almost always available - see Rule 2. FWIW, sometimes you will need to invest in a good hard-copy tome - TCP/IP programming is one such subject, as are other difficult computer science subjects. I have 50-100 linear feet of shelf space that is overflowing with such tomes, purchased over the past 30+ years.

Most of us who lurk here and on other decent forums do so in order to do some payback for help we have received from others - see Rule 3 and Rule 4.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Hey, thanks all for the warm welcome!

Sorry to unintentionally bump this, but I wanted to make sure I replied so you know I read what you wrote and that it wasn't a waste of your time. I intended to write this sooner but I've been pretty hectic for the last couple days getting a new job in order. First shift last night and lemme tell ya, the income couldn't have come any sooner! Was out of work for almost a month

atreyu, my mistake. I didn't mean I aspire to code a brand new OS, but rather to have my handiwork in one of the distros. But that wouldn't be for a while anyway. That "linux from scratch" link looks really juicy so I'm definitely bookmarking it for when I have some time.

Rubberman, I actually got a big ol' ebook about DNS and TCP/IP about a month ago. Crazy how the one topic you called out by name was the last ebook I bought. Now that I know it will have an high relevance to tinkering with Linux and things, I think I'll move it up a few positions in the To-Do list. Semper Gumbi, I like that!

rokytnji, your post was a delight to read! Thanks for the links. We should get you a sidecar and seat it with a giant stuffed penguin! (A real one would be cruel.) Now that would be the ultimate image of "badass geek". (geek is meant endearingly not rudely).

And MASONTX, thanks for being part of the welcome party!