Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello all I developed a graphical automation and data visualization program for Unix/Linux admins and I am seeking feedback and critical comments from the community. I would appreciate honest, blunt ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Seeking feedback for a new automation tool

Hello all
    I developed a graphical automation and data visualization program for Unix/Linux admins and I am seeking feedback and critical comments from the community.
    I would appreciate honest, blunt comments, no need to sugar coat or be diplomatic.
    Please post only after downloading and trying the program for at least a little while - or explain why you are rejecting it outright, without even trying
    You can read about the project here

flattsolutions-dot-com

There is a big "Download" button that takes you to the area where you can download the program installer
    Alternately you can go to flattsolutions-dot-com-slash-public and download the installers from that location.

Thank you, your help is much appreciated.
    Andy
    Last edited by flatt_guy; 06-24-2013 at 05:30 AM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sorry, but this is not acceptable. We have no way to determine if it is disguised malware or a legitimate download. Put the file(s) in a compressed tarball (tgz for example), and upload them here. That way, we can scan them for infections before installing the tool on our systems.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Sorry, but this is not acceptable. We have no way to determine if it is disguised malware or a legitimate download. Put the file(s) in a compressed tarball (tgz for example), and upload them here. That way, we can scan them for infections before installing the tool on our systems.
    You can give me your email address and I can send you the installers
    If you would like to contact directly me please email andy at flattsolutions dot com

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can use tools like quickpar (a Windows application, but runs on Linux under Wine) to break big binaries into smaller chunks which can be used to recover the original image. Then, you can upload the parts which we can download, restore to the original, and check that out.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    You can use tools like quickpar (a Windows application, but runs on Linux under Wine) to break big binaries into smaller chunks which can be used to recover the original image. Then, you can upload the parts which we can download, restore to the original, and check that out.
    I can split the installer on a Linux using split command. Not sure if this will work with the upload UI - it has a list of file types it accepts and raw binary (or par for that matter) is not one of them. I will give it a try later tonight.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by flatt_guy View Post
    I can split the installer on a Linux using split command. Not sure if this will work with the upload UI - it has a list of file types it accepts and raw binary (or par for that matter) is not one of them. I will give it a try later tonight.
    OK, so the Attachments UI does not allow files bigger than 97.7 KB for .zip files and it does not allow uploading binary files without extension, so this approach does not seem to be too effective.

I put all installers in a public directory at flattsolutions-dot-com-slash-public. You can view the contents of the directory,download the installer binaries and scan them for viruses if you so desire.

Just Joined!
    If you want to try it on a large number of hosts, you can enter this key in the license dialog ( under Help menu) 2b49ee64-b052-a7caea4a-45c8-2050c-fcf12aceb6c2
    This gives an unlimited access to all program features.

Just Joined!
    More detailed notes on FLATT

Overview
    FLATT is an Adobe AIR application that runs on Mac and Windows. Unfortunately Adobe discontinued Linux support so there is no official Linux version but it is available upon request.
    On startup FLATT client launches a a server component that runs locally. It connects to hosts on client's behalf using ssh, executes scripts (called Actions in FLATT) and returns results.
    sudo is supported.
    The server component is a java application and Java v 1.6 or newer is required.
    The server can be configured to run standalone - this can be used in an environment where the hosts are behind a firewall. The server supports SSL for communications with the client application.
    You can download the server package from the flattsolutions.com website or from the flattsolutions/public directory.

Tasks
    A Task is a collection of Actions that execute sequentially and stop if an error was encountered. It is up to you to define what an error is.
    Tasks are located in the bottom left pane of the application UI.
    To create a Task drag an Action from the top left pane to the bottom left pane. You can reorder Actions in a Task as you see fit.
    Tasks are great for SOP's - Standard Operating Procedures that every IT department has.

Host configurations.
    You can set up a host configuration file and apply it to a host or a group of hosts.
    Drag a host configuration icon in the middle bottom pane onto an icon of a host or a group in the Hosts pane.
    This is handy if you have hosts with different OS types and versions.
    For example on some hosts a command like netstat is in /bin/netstat and on some it is in /usr/bin/netstat
    In your Action you reference a variable using a standard shell variable syntax, i.e $NETSTAT
    When the Action executes on a host and the host configuration is present , the variable substitution is performed so $NETSTAT referenced in the Action becomes /usr/bin/netstat

Remote repository
    One of the cornerstone ideas of FLATT is that you build a library of scripts and share it among your IT team so nobody has to reinvent the wheel.
    FLATT uses Subversion for Remote Repository.
    The user manual describes how to point your client to a repository.
    You can execute remote Actions on hosts just like the local ones

Output formats.
    The output data can be formatted as text, table (csv) , line chart and column ( bar ) chart.
    The default Actions provide examples of different output formats that FLATT supports.
    The manual provides a more detailed description.
    Please let me know if you have any questions

Just Joined!
    Anyone out there adventurous enough to try the tool??
    Rubberman, you seem omnipresent at this forum do you want to take a look?

Quote Originally Posted by flatt_guy View Post
    Anyone out there adventurous enough to try the tool??
    Rubberman, you seem omnipresent at this forum do you want to take a look?
    It does sound interesting, but I am up to my elbows in alligators (work related) right now, so I have no clue as to when I could give it due diligence. I was supposed to head to West Lafayette Indiana to Battleground for the Indiana Fiddlers Gathering tonight, but have to deal with this work cruft... My wife is already there, and will be sorely pissed that I am not going to get there tonight. Near term doesn't look much better, and we are heading to West VA for a dance workshop over the 4th of July weekend.

Anyway, I will try to look at this when I have 3 ticks of the clock to do so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast