Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 8 of 8
SolydXK | Home of SolydX and SolydK It started as LMDE with the Xfce and KDE desktops after the Mint team stopped supporting them presumably to concentrate on Cinnamon and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Penguin of trust elija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Posts
    3,653

    New distro which is looking good


    SolydXK | Home of SolydX and SolydK

    It started as LMDE with the Xfce and KDE desktops after the Mint team stopped supporting them presumably to concentrate on Cinnamon and Mate. It seems to be forging it's own path now and a very nice one it is too!

    I have the Xfce edition (SolydX) running on my laptop and in a week or so, once the latest update pack is released I'm going to grab the new iso and rebuild my desktop also.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

    Grandpa Simpson



    The Fifth Continent

  2. #2
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,205
    Cool. I will give it a spin when time permits. Let me know if mlocate/locate, inxi, smxi>(has to be ran as root in terminal but won't start in X/Desktop Terminal so it is safe to try) is included in the distro. Most reviews are pretty generic with general stuff but no specifics on
    what commands actually work on that distro.

    Is even flash installed? I read the linux insider review but I guess praise and history and new kid content over rode what the distro has or does content.

  3. #3
    Penguin of trust elija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Posts
    3,653
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Cool. I will give it a spin when time permits. Let me know if mlocate/locate, inxi, smxi>(has to be ran as root in terminal but won't start in X/Desktop Terminal so it is safe to try) is included in the distro. Most reviews are pretty generic with general stuff but no specifics on
    what commands actually work on that distro.
    There is no reason they won't work; it's Debian after all but some of the smxi capabilities may be redundant:

    System Upgrades (dist-upgrade / upgrade) and Kernel upgrades / kernel module upgrades will be taken care of by the monthly upgrade packs
    Automatated (sic) video card driver installation (plus any needed patches), especially non-free drivers like nVidia and AMD/ATI fglrx will be handled by DDM (Device Driver Manager) with even Bumblebee only a couple of mouse clicks away.


    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Is even flash installed? I read the linux insider review but I guess praise and history and new kid content over rode what the distro has or does content.
    Yeah it is a newbie
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

    Grandpa Simpson



    The Fifth Continent

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,205
    There is no reason they won't work
    My Brain was not firing on all cylinders this morning. A wee bit of a hang over from last night.

    System Upgrades (dist-upgrade / upgrade) and Kernel upgrades / kernel module upgrades will be taken care of by the monthly upgrade packs
    That was something I have not experienced in a while.

    especially non-free drivers like nVidia and AMD/ATI fglrx will be handled by DDM (Device Driver Manager) with even Bumblebee only a couple of mouse clicks away.
    That I have never experienced. I always need to do things manually. I guess I'll have to take my own advice and find out what is what. I have a netbook and a Desktop waiting for
    some speed dating.

  6. #5
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Clinton Township, MI
    Posts
    104

    Sounds like the 'Roky' that I know!

    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    My Brain was not firing on all cylinders this morning. A wee bit of a hang over from last night.

    That was something I have not experienced in a while.

    That I have never experienced. I always need to do things manually. I guess I'll have to take my own advice and find out what is what. I have a netbook and a Desktop waiting for
    some speed dating.
    Roky,

    The original LMDE was a bit 'rocky', but it has come a long way. I've not seen this SolydXK. Is it a direct spin off or descendant of LMDE?

    The most recent MATE/Cinnamon editions of LMDE are really quite good; the only things I don't particularly care for are MATE and Cinnamon; replace that with Xfce and it's good.

    Interested in whatever you know and what you've managed to test with this distro.

    It'll be a hard sell for me to replace either Debian Sid or antiX with it, but who knows, perhaps it's worth shelving another distro (perhaps LMDE/Mate) to give it a try!
    Brian Masinick
    masinick AT yahoo DOT com

  7. #6
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,205
    Howdy Brian.

    From what I gather from the site and Elija. This is LMDE on steroids. Software is getting like hard ware lately. Every time I dive into something. Something new comes out.
    It is like going into a topless bar to see your favorite dancer and boom. A new dancer comes out and the dollar bills start flying out of your fist.

    I will try later on this week the 32 bit xfce iso on the Acer Aspire One Zg5 and see how it goes. AntiX stays on my other eeepc netbooks though as I have them tweaked to how
    I want them for now. At least I have enough OOOOOOOOOOLD hardware I can play in the playground and chase the releases like pretty women in a bar.

    Edit: I hope all these new automated features don't spoil me and dumb me down. It took a long time for you guys to learn me how to manually maneuver through
    a Linux operating system. Practice made perfect.

  8. #7
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    31
    Looks good. I like the claim that you never have to re-install and that upgrades come continuously. Is this truly a rolling release?. I'm not sure how that's achieved, but having to do a clean install for every release has kept me away from Ubuntu and Mint. I never trust the automatic upgrade to the next release, because it has never worked for me, ever.

    I will definitely have a good look at SolydX when I get some time. And I thank you for pointing out this distro.

  9. #8
    Penguin of trust elija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Posts
    3,653
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    I hope all these new automated features don't spoil me and dumb me down. It took a long time for you guys to learn me how to manually maneuver through
    a Linux operating system. Practice made perfect.
    That's a definite danger. I look at some of my old posts and wonder at some of the things I used to know before Linux got easy. My trouble is I'm basically lazy so if there is a nice and simple way to do something then I'll take it

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacopag View Post
    Looks good. I like the claim that you never have to re-install and that upgrades come continuously. Is this truly a rolling release?. I'm not sure how that's achieved, but having to do a clean install for every release has kept me away from Ubuntu and Mint. I never trust the automatic upgrade to the next release, because it has never worked for me, ever.

    I will definitely have a good look at SolydX when I get some time. And I thank you for pointing out this distro.
    If you use the strictest definition of a rolling release distro then due to the Debian pre-release freeze, no it isn't. But it is!

    I'm liking it more and more. The team seems to be keeping nicely to their goal of monthly update packs with the next one scheduled for tomorrow. That they discuss issues with the packs and their progress openly in the forums is refreshing and definitely adds a layer of trust.

    There is no new iso this time so I may rebuild my desktop this evening. Friday evening. Rock & roll man, rock & roll!
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

    Grandpa Simpson



    The Fifth Continent

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •