Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello All, I heard about Linux and how it is becoming easier for normal people like me (without very much knowledge of how to do things on computers) to use, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to Linux

Hello All,

I heard about Linux and how it is becoming easier for normal people like me (without very much knowledge of how to do things on computers) to use, so I figured I'd try it. So I'm running OpenSuse12.3 64 bit with Gnome (dual booted with Windows 7 if that matters). I suppose I'm not *technically* new to Linux. I hope this will be a pleasant experience and that LinuxForums can help me when I run into troubles. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Howdy and Welcome.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Welcome.

While one might think of a lot computer knowledge is an asset, you might be surprised how much a hindrance it can be to attempt to apply knowledge of one OS to another. Therefore, you're feeling that you lack knowledge may turn out to be an advantage. You have general knowledge, like the concepts of files and folders, opening programs, etc. that can be applied to any OS. Then will be knowledge that will not be useful. For example: Trying to apply the concept of drive letters to Linux will go nowhere, except frustration. Linux doesn't use any 'limited to X number of {fill in the blank}', things like 26 drive letters. Linux uses 1 file system starting at the '/' (root). Additional drives, devices, network shares, and whatever else, are mounted onto sub-directories, with virtually no limit on how big the entire file system gets, or how many devices it takes to get there.

Anyway, I believe an open, unassuming, inquisitive, mind is the best learner, and it sounds to me like you're ready to learn. Good luck.

Welcome aboard!
    Starting off with minimal knowledge can be a definite advantage. You might not have that frustrating moment where you mumble: Well it worked like this in Windows or OSX.

Enjoy the learning experience!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Welcome to the forum. One thing you can say about computers, is that no matter what OS you use, sooner or later you will have problems. The advantage to linux is that you can deal with them yourself and have access to people who can help you through the forum. glad to have you join us.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Trusted Penguin
    hey KSadman. this place could use some more normal people, so welcome aboard!

Just Joined!
    Welcome aboard my friend

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    hey KSadman. this place could use some more normal people, so welcome aboard!
    What are ya sayin' here?
    I just dare you to find a more normal group of oddballs, anywhere on the interwebs!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Welcome KSadman!

I'm known in some circles as Abe Normal.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    What are ya sayin' here?
    I just dare you to find a more normal group of oddballs, anywhere on the interwebs!
    you know, you raise a fair point. as misfits go, we're pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    I'm known in some circles as Abe Normal.
    OMG, that's one of my 5 favorite Mel Brooks movies. laffing so hard in my head...

abby-someone.jpg ----"Abby Someone."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast