Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am interested in creating a new Linux image (LFS). I browsed around different Linux distros and for most of the requirements already, many distros are present. Initially planning ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile New linux image

Hello,
    I am interested in creating a new Linux image (LFS). I browsed around different Linux distros and for most of the requirements already, many distros are present.

Initially planning to create one for raspberry pi. And later support for mips and x86.

Please can we discuss on what type of image we can create. (Like what different i can do from the existing distros)

Guru

Trusted Penguin
    hello and welcome, guru!

you've got quite a task before you, and it is one that has already been taken on by quite a few teams of talented developers. just check out DistroWatch to see the number and variety of Linux options that exist. do you have a very specific goal in mind, like a niche purpose or a highly customized environment? if you don't, then i'd recommend aligning yourself with one of the distros that most suits you, and offering your services to them - most distros devs are happy to get help.

if you are just doing this as a learning experience, then i say more power to you! but i think you'll have to be the main source of inspiration for your own creation. if i could suggest anything, it might be certain points to consider, when considering any Linux distribution. they would be, in no particular order:

• customizing the Linux kernel
    • the package manager (yum/rpm, apt-get/deb, roll your own, etc.)
    • the userland tools (use embedded, tiny utils - like Busybox; or full-on GNU utils)
    • the graphical environment (GNOME, KDE, XFCE, etc.)
    • the X server (Xorg, Wayland, Mir, etc.)
    • setting up security (SELinux, firewall, VPN, ssh, sudo, etc.)
    • default services (web, file-sharing, etc.)
    • and the most important piece: something unique that makes it yours!

Just Joined!
    Hello atreyu,
    Thanks for the response and the link. I am doing it for learning purpose, if successful definitely will upload in some website.
    I am thinking of image lite (Kernle, shell, and must required commands). If some one use it, they can easily install the required packages on top this.

Guru

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I am thinking of image lite (Kernle, shell, and must required commands). If some one use it, they can easily install the required packages on top this.
    Debian -- Network install from a minimal CD

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

For those who wish to have total control over the install, use antiX-core and build up.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

Fedora Project - Get Fedora: Desktops, Other Formats, Spins, Cloud Images or Secondary Arches.

Fedora 19 Network Install CD

The Network Install CD edition of Fedora is useful if you have a fast Internet connection available. When you boot from this media, you will be running the installation program and you get the selected packages directly from the repositories. The CD ensures you having the latest stable versions of the packages installed.
    SliTaz LiveCD Flavors

slitaz-3.0-3in1.iso [30.0M] - 3in1 flavor containing the base, justx and core ISOs
    Just to name a few of many that have traveled and worn a rut in that path. Tiny Core is another. Crux,Gentoo,Slackware,barebones puppy are others.
    I agree with atreyu on helping out developers with their builds. I help with 2 distros myself but in a limited fashion. I am pretty sure
    you will learn more that way than attempting what you are trying to do. Otherwise this thread would not exist and you would just build it.

Every distro has a text file of installed packages that make it work. It is usually in /home (except for Puppy sometimes)

Howdy and Welcome from me also.

Chapter*4.*Resources for Debian Developers

Just Joined!
    Hello rokytnji
    Thank you. I need to recheck my plan now !!

Guru