Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just a quick heads up for anyone who has an account on the Ubuntu Forums .org(like I do), there forum was hacked and e-mails and passwords were stolen. If you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu Forums Hacked.

Just a quick heads up for anyone who has an account on the Ubuntu Forums .org(like I do), there forum was hacked and e-mails and passwords were stolen. If you have an account there and also use the same password on other accounts they you need to go change your other passwords to protect those accounts. That is all,carry on.

Ubuntu Forums Warning!!

Hello,

You are receiving this message because you have an account registered with this address on ubuntuforums.org.

The Ubuntu forums software was compromised by an external attacker. As a result, the attacker has gained access to read your username, email address and an encrypted copy of your password from the forum database.

If you have used this password and email address to authenticate at any other website, you are urged to reset the password on those accounts immediately as the attacker may be able to use the compromised personal information to access these other accounts. It is important to have a distinct password for different accounts.

The ubuntuforums.org website is currently offline and we are working to restore this service. Please take the time to change your ubuntuforums.org account password when service is restored.

We apologize for any inconvenience to the Ubuntu community, thank you for your understanding.

The Canonical Sysadmins.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Hiya, Lucky!
    TNFrank beat you to the punch on this one, so I simply merged you together.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Anyone know how and why they were hacked?

It would be interesting to find out just how they were so completely hacked!! Perhaps it was an " inside job " by a disgruntled employee; at any rate you can surely bet that the hack was not done to do nice things!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

I know the Mods were all pretty hard on folks that would even mention Back Box, Back Track or Kali Linux Distros. Maybe someone who actually knew how to use em' decided that enough was enough so they hacked em' just to prove that simply because you won't talk about those Distros doesn't mean you can't be hacked by em'.
    I just hate it because I had to run around changing passwords(I know, I should use the same one on so many sites) so that they'd also not be compromised. Either way it sucks even if I'm not hanging out over there anymore. I like it hear a lot better. Just hope they keep their security up over here better then they did over there.

Not too worried about getting a forum account breached, what are they going to do, ask a stupid question or give a stupid answer and embarass me?

Probably the troll going around posting "Do not use Ubuntu".

FWIIW, Here is a bit more.

I have yet to receive an email.

Canonical Blog

We have confirmed the attackers were able to access all user email addresses and hashed passwords on the Forums site. While the passwords were not stored in plain text, good practice dictates that users should assume the passwords have been accessed and change them. If users used the same password on other services they should immediately change that password.

We believe the issue is limited to the Ubuntu Forums and no other Ubuntu or Canonical site or service is affected.

We have begun the process of notifying by email all users whose details have been compromised.

We are continuing to investigate exactly how the attackers were able to gain access and are working with the software providers to address that issue. Once the investigation is concluded we will provide as much detail as we safely can.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

This happened on Saturday from what I understand and I did just get the e-mail from Ubuntu Forums today. Kind of slow, aren't they.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast