Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just installed Debian64 and made the mistake of ticking "Debian Desktop". It dumped the whole of Gnome on me. What a waste of bandwidth! It'll take me a month to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I should have known better!

Just installed Debian64 and made the mistake of ticking "Debian Desktop". It dumped the whole of Gnome on me. What a waste of bandwidth!

It'll take me a month to work out what I've got here and how much of it I actually want. There are programs in the desktop menu that I've never heard of. What the heck is Empathy? No, don't tell me, I'll google it.

Oh, one thing I just noticed is that when you click on a menu, your current open window shrinks away, but when you click on it, it resizes itself. Quite amusing; I supose that's what they call compositing.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ah, the "joy" of the gnu gnome! I still prefer 2.x myself. The 3.x version really sucks (to quote the bard)! I think you can still revert to 2.x - much more user friendly, IMO. You can also switch to other lightweight desktops, such as xfce, et al.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Ah, the "joy" of the gnu gnome! I still prefer 2.x myself. The 3.x version really sucks (to quote the bard)! I think you can still revert to 2.x - much more user friendly, IMO. You can also switch to other lightweight desktops, such as xfce, et al.
    This morning I discovered that if you choose "classic gnome" in gdm, you get a much more user-friendly desktop with a proper menu and none of this mad swooping about. It's quite interesting to see Linux after a standard installation, the way a newbie would see it; a complete package with all the software you could ever need. Very nice but not really to my taste.

Empathy turns out to be a chat client. Well, that can go for a start.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"