Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
A friend's PC died today and thanks to the wonderful Upgrading and Repairing PCs it was easily identified as a dead graphics card. Rather than buy a new PC we ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

That was an interesting couple of hours

A friend's PC died today and thanks to the wonderful Upgrading and Repairing PCs it was easily identified as a dead graphics card. Rather than buy a new PC we decided to replace the card.

Instead of getting a new Nvidia I persuaded him to go with an AMD (this one)

• Nvidia are the worst company the kernel devs have ever dealt with I said. And I showed him the video to prove it.
    • I can rip the old card out and have the new one in there in but a jiffy I said.
    • You're using SolydK so we can install the new drivers with the click of a button I said.
    • Job done I said.

Indeed it all went according to that plan until we rebooted after installing the fglrx drivers and got nothing but a blank screen with a flashing cursor! After about an hour and a half of trying different things while swearing under my breath, I realised that the Nvidia drivers were still installed. So I un-installed them. At which point, apt ran a simple update-alternatives to set glx to fgrlx and after a reboot everything worked. I suspect that a simple update-alternatives was all I needed to do.

The lessons here are:

• always expect the worst.
    • the solution is usually simpler than you think!

It is a very good card now we have it going so I may grab myself one at that price, especially as neither one of us is a hard core gamer. It does run a bit warmer than I'm used to but it is completely silent!
    Last edited by elija; 07-26-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Linux User
    A few hours rescuing a friend/mother/grandma/etc? Good on you, and I want to personally thank you for doing your public service to stop a crummy hardware issue from keeping a good linux box from doing it's duty.

I vote dancing bananas, but I cannot get the dancing bananas. Can anyone here get him some dancing bananas?

Hows that? Elija has always been helpful and cutting edge. Has good taste in Music also.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    always expect the worst.
    Yep... Always. Especially when it all tries to give you the shaft!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    I vote dancing bananas, but I cannot get the dancing bananas. Can anyone here get him some dancing bananas?
    I got this.......
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    OMG, i'm totally uploading that as my Dad's "My Computer" icon...

Oh man! I was thanked with beer last night... along with some gentle mickey taking for how long it took to do something I said was so easy especially as I was the one who sold Linux based on how easy it is. On the plus side he does like KDE and his grandkids get to use Linux when they are at grandpa's house.

I'd swear I didn't feel like this the day after beer when I was younger
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

Linux Newbie

Proprietary better than proprietary

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    A friend's PC died today and thanks to the wonderful Upgrading and Repairing PCs it was easily identified as a dead graphics card. Rather than buy a new PC we decided to replace the card.

Instead of getting a new Nvidia I persuaded him to go with an AMD (this one)

• Nvidia are the worst company the kernel devs have ever dealt with I said. And I showed him the video to prove it.
    • I can rip the old card out and have the new one in there in but a jiffy I said.
    • You're using SolydK so we can install the new drivers with the click of a button I said.
    • Job done I said.

Indeed it all went according to that plan until we rebooted after installing the fglrx drivers and got nothing but a blank screen with a flashing cursor! After about an hour and a half of trying different things while swearing under my breath, I realised that the Nvidia drivers were still installed. So I un-installed them. At which point, apt ran a simple update-alternatives to set glx to fgrlx and after a reboot everything worked. I suspect that a simple update-alternatives was all I needed to do.

The lessons here are:

• always expect the worst.
    • the solution is usually simpler than you think!

It is a very good card now we have it going so I may grab myself one at that price, especially as neither one of us is a hard core gamer. It does run a bit warmer than I'm used to but it is completely silent!
    Sorry but I don't get your point. Did you replace a dead NVidia using proprietary driver by a working AMD, with fglrx, which is also a proprietary driver ? My position is I stay with NVidia : because I use mplayer for viewing videos and VDPAU just works ; and I also stumbled with too much issues with AMD (no hardware decode with a HD2600, no HDMI sound, no driver for Radeon 7000 or IGP320, common hardware though, no suitable driver for Rage128 (by that time, NVidia TNT2 ran well)) to forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDangeax View Post
    Sorry but I don't get your point. Did you replace a dead NVidia using proprietary driver by a working AMD, with fglrx, which is also a proprietary driver ? My position is I stay with NVidia : because I use mplayer for viewing videos and VDPAU just works ; and I also stumbled with too much issues with AMD (no hardware decode with a HD2600, no HDMI sound, no driver for Radeon 7000 or IGP320, common hardware though, no suitable driver for Rage128 (by that time, NVidia TNT2 ran well)) to forgive.
    Well if you are looking for a point from a slightly amusing tale of over-confidence and the fun couple of hours that followed, I suppose you can take your pick from the following:

• Never promise an easy outcome. As soon as you do Sod's Law will kick in and the outcome will be anything but easy.
    • Always expect the worst outcome. You will either be right or pleasantly surprised.
    • Always look for the simple solution. If what you are doing is getting complicated then it is probably wrong or at least could be done better. Simple and complicated are relative to the task at hand.
    • Help a friend in need and you may get beer. Delicious and strong home brewed beer from a guy who has been brewing since the 1980s. That last sentence is probably a bit specific but it still stands.
    • Drink enough beer and you will get a Hellish hangover. Especially if you are not as young as you were.
    rokytnji likes this.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDangeax View Post
    When was the last time you helped your old grandma fix her donglebox?

No offense OP: But where are you going with this?

So you [incorrectly] cheated your friend out of buying a GPU from an inferior company...and are proud of that or something?

...all because of a one liner from Torvalds which is now only relegated to youtube..? I'm guessing you don't even know the backing behind that... at all....amirite?

AMD def. has made some strides with Linux, go back a few years and AMD was utterly hopeless at many levels (while Nvidia was still a breeze, I might add). Though Nvidia still trumps them in terms of GPU performance as well as mark / dollar in most situations. As for driver friendliness. I'd say they're about equal at the present time. If your only goal is to make contributions to the kernel then why not directly support them? If that's not your only goal then I'm def. missing something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast