Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cousinlucky
  • 1 Post By Jonathan183
Believe it or not; I am at a loss for words about this: Feds tell Web firms to turn over user account passwords | Politics and Law - CNET News...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Your Account Passwords Everyone!!

Believe it or not; I am at a loss for words about this:
    Feds tell Web firms to turn over user account passwords | Politics and Law - CNET News
    ramin.honary likes this.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

I swear I sometimes feel like I'm going to have to move to Russia so I can live in a Free Country again. This crap is starting to get VERY old. The Feds need to step back and stop trying to play "Big Brother" with law abiding citizens of our Country.

Just Joined!
    Too bad the article doesn't address the possibility of generating a rainbow table once they have the algorithm and salt.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I swear I sometimes feel like I'm going to have to move to Russia so I can live in a Free Country again. This crap is starting to get VERY old. The Feds need to step back and stop trying to play "Big Brother" with law abiding citizens of our Country.
    So true.

Although i understand why they are doing it in terms of threats etc. But i think its a bit over the top to need everyone's, it comes across as slight paranoia and probably for good reason.

Another case when people should be asking should we do it ... not just can we do it !

If my life depended on it I would not be sending unencrypted emails, and I would not be sending messages via gmail/yahoo mail/any other webmail account either ... so why would the bad guys? This is another pointless invasion of peoples privacy ...
    Lazydog likes this.

we may not have a lot to worry about. NSA can't find it's own emails. The NSA Says It Can't Search Its Own Email : The Two-Way : NPR
    Registered Linux user #526930

I'm not sure what to think of that?

On the one hand it's kind of reassuring to know that they're not omnipotent. On the other hand it's kind of spooky to think that idijits that can reach so far in to our private lives still haven't mastered basic stuff like exchange or sendmail yet.

But it all sounds like smoke blowing to me. I mean after all, Bluffdale will *supposedly* let them Hoover every piece of communications on the planet. I seriously doubt they're trying to dig through that one alias at a time.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 07-30-2013 at 05:52 AM.

They may be able to collect a haystack of information or several hundred haystacks, but can they then go to the right haystack and pull out the needle?
    Registered Linux user #526930