Find the answer to your Linux question:
Back in the 1990s, most mainframes and servers ran UNIX. Now apparently 96% of them are running Linux. That's bad news for SCO. According to this article I read (sorry, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is this the end of UNIX?

Back in the 1990s, most mainframes and servers ran UNIX. Now apparently 96% of them are running Linux. That's bad news for SCO.

According to this article I read (sorry, no link because it was in a previous edition of the eBulletin which I deleted), IT managers prefer Linux because free software is more easy to tweak, and because it's a heck of a lot cheaper to run on clusters than proprietary UNIX. And of course there's only a very shallow learning curve in switching from UNIX to Linux.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Linux Engineer
    Aside from very niche-specific roles, Unix is going the way of the dodo. Now that Oracle has bought out Sun the flagship commercial Unix, Solaris, will die a painful death. IMO, no one really enjoys working with Solaris, they merely tolerate it

I hope the BSD variants survive for posterity's sake.

Just Joined!
    I don't see UNIX dying in the near future, as there is certainly plenty of use for it. IBM AIX is still solid and quite useful, and IBM is still going strong. Oracle Solaris is a strange bird indeed as Oracle Enterprise Linux is a direct competitor in the same "house". I used to love Solaris, but it seems to me that less people know how to effectively configure the operating system, and GNU Linux is simply easier to use and can go on any x86 architecture. Linux is certainly most prominent and continues to gain market share, but I don't see UNIX going away any time soon.

Yes, it's the end, and good riddance.

Solaris was pretty terrible to manage compared to Linux. My old university just switched over from all Solaris machines to all Ubuntu 12.04 machines and have been incredibly happy. They were forced to switch because Oracle changed the licensing to such a degree which made administrating a cluster of Solaris servers akin to putting your testicles in a vice. There was no choice, they had to drop Solaris...and damn are they happy they've done it. Ubuntu 12.04 is just easier to manage at just about every possible level. BSD will still be around, but will continue to be a minority.

I agree with ultrapain, i don't see UNIX dying out just yet. IBM is a pretty strong supporter/developer of UNIX with AIX and various other System Z in house OS's. IBM has a lot invested in UNIX even compared to HP, so i don't think it will go extinct.
    Although with that said i can't see them gaining popularity either. UNIX's biggest problem is diversity and lots of single entities developing individual improvements to meet their own needs for SVR4 with no group cohesion to improve mainline system as a whole, which unfortunately i think is a result of being proprietary. It would be great if it became open-source but unfortunately i don't think that will happen anytime soon or unless it becomes totally irrelevant and unused. In which case people won't develop for it, they will just use it as a learning tool, kinda like HP-UX's original filesystem that is now open-source (AdvFS). It had great features that even now aren't fully replicated but developers don't see it as worthwhile compared to EXT4, XFS, JFS, BTRFS, etc...

BSD has a bigger backing then a lot of people realize, they are actually in a stronger position than Linux is in terms of the actual OS. All they need is the mass horde of developers like Linux has for any of them (be it NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD or DragonflyBSD) and they would come leaps and bounds.

Syndacte: Solaris is an absolute mess since Oracle took over it. Oracle basically destroyed any and all momentum Solaris had when they made it partially closed source. If Oracle had chosen to leave it as open source they probably wouldn't have had the fork to Openindiana and it would be a lot stronger than it is. I think it would be a lot closer to Linux in terms of usability and software support if the latter had occurred. So it is no surprise you don't like using it.

Here is the distribution I found, Data from Dec. 2012

overall server market
    20.4% -Linux

45.8% -Windows

17.6% -Unix

12.3% -z/OS

96.1% -Total

Does that mean Mac OS X counted for the 3.9% left out of 100% or is that just a void? lol

I would have classified and thought z/OS to be under Unix with HP and others. Although according to Wikipedia z/OS is classified as its own class of operating system which is Unix compliant.

That makes me curious to know is z/OS 100% IBM home grown or is it based of an old existing os IBM used but has nothing in common and therefore not classified as being a descendant of it?
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 08-06-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Speaking of Mac servers, I saw an article the other day where Disney is using Linux servers.

For those that don't know Steve Jobs was majority shareholder at Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    Speaking of Mac servers, I saw an article the other day where Disney is using Linux servers.

For those that don't know Steve Jobs was majority shareholder at Disney.
    Well i am sure Jobs would be turning in his grave if he found out Disney abandoned Mac OS X in place of Linux. lol