Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
I'm enjoying your efforts so far Hazel. I think I'm going to read all of the chapters posted so far in one chunk so i can get a better impression ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

I'm enjoying your efforts so far Hazel. I think I'm going to read all of the chapters posted so far in one chunk so i can get a better impression of how it all works together. Once I do that, I'll post some critiques...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    Perhaps your best chapter so far Hazel. You might want to move it to ch 1, as it answers the "What distro is best" question.
    Good point! But the first chapter must be the one on free software. I have moved this chapter back to Chapter 2, where I think it fits very well.

@Elija: Yes, I'd forgotten about file-sharing. You see, I'm an old grouch and I never share files with anyone! I've put something in about using ClamAV in such cases.

@wakou. If anyone doesn't know who Aleksandr Orlov is, they can google it. Google is your friend! Here is his Wikipedia article.
    And here is chapter 7.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Chapter 8.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    And finally the appendix. I wrote this some time ago and some of you have already seen it in another form.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    11. Bugs in Linux are fixed much more slowly than bugs in Windows
    Truth: This is a story put about by Microsoft and it is based on a total (perhaps deliberate) misunderstanding of the way the Linux community works. Bugs found in Windows have to be reported to Microsoft as no-one else has the necessary expertise to fix them; when enough of them have built up, they are incorporated in a service pack or a new minor release. In Linux, new releases are used purely for upgrading and not to fix bugs. Instead bug fixes are posted (often within hours) on the relevant application website. Consequently the time lag between releases can be quite long in some Linux distributions (notoriously so in Mandriva), but this is not relevant to the question of how soon bugs are fixed.
    And then there are days like this past "Patch Tuesday" for Windows where everything went sideways! Why all the errors in Microsoft updates lately? | ZDNet
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just got around to reading chapter 8. Another good one Hazel. You might consider moving the section "How linux empowers its users" to a forward to the book. To me it is an excellant introduction to why a person might want to switch.

Just read the appendix also. Loved the 12.
    Last edited by MASONTX; 09-13-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Add comment
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just got around to reading chapter 8. Another good one Hazel. You might consider moving the section "How linux empowers its users" to a forward to the book. To me it is an excellant introduction to why a person might want to switch.
    Yes, I see your point. But I think there is a real psychological issue here. A lot of Windows users are actually pretty tired of being told that Linux will "empower" them, because they don't know what that means. It just sounds hectoring and geeky.

So my foreword just teases them to find out why it's so easy to fall in love with Linux. Then, when I have explained how Linux works and how simple and friendly it is, I introduce the idea of empowerment in the context in which I discovered it myself: solving problems when they arise.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Great job Hazel. What project will you tackle next?

Great job Hazel. What project will you tackle next?
    You'll laugh! The next one is going to be Linux From Scratch since the Compaq still has plenty of room on its hard drive. I don't know how far I can get, because most people seem to get bogged down somewhere, but it will be amusing to find out. I have checked out the LFS site and I know I have the right versions of all the tool-chain programs in Slackbody. And I know the most important thing, which is that you must do exactly as you're told.
    Lakshmipathi likes this.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I believe you can do it Hazel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast