Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
The only thing I have on my desktop with Point Linux is my home folder and the trash can and of course removable media shows up there when I plug ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

The only thing I have on my desktop with Point Linux is my home folder and the trash can and of course removable media shows up there when I plug a USB in or put a CD/DVD in the drive. Other then that it's just nice to be able to create a quick folder to stick stuff in when I'm on the net without having to open my home folder. Also when I need to delete something I don't need to open my home folder to get to the trash can since it's right on the desktop where I can get to it easily.
    I've just found that Point Linux is a comfortable fit for me with the MATE desktop and the way it works. That's the great thing about Linux, if you look around you can find a Distro that'll work just like you want it to or with a little tweaking you can make it so. That's why I love Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    The only thing I have on my desktop with Point Linux is my home folder and the trash can and of course removable media shows up there when I plug a USB in or put a CD/DVD in the drive. Other then that it's just nice to be able to create a quick folder to stick stuff in when I'm on the net without having to open my home folder. Also when I need to delete something I don't need to open my home folder to get to the trash can since it's right on the desktop where I can get to it easily.
    I've just found that Point Linux is a comfortable fit for me with the MATE desktop and the way it works. That's the great thing about Linux, if you look around you can find a Distro that'll work just like you want it to or with a little tweaking you can make it so. That's why I love Linux.
    I totally get it. I used to create quick folders all of the time that way. About the trash though, you can put that on the dock so it's easier to access. I don't drag anything to the trash anymore, I just right click and trash it, then empty it later.

I'll have to take a look at Point Linux. I'm not familair with it. Glad you found your perfect setup!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I tried it for about a week but didn't like not having any control over the desktop. I like to be able to DO things on the desktop. Of course that's the same little "gripe" that I had with Pure Debian 7.2 and it's why I've been Rockin' Point Linux for the last couple months and I've been happy as a clam with it. I can actually do stuff on the desktop and it's still rock solid Debian 7 based.
    I'm not suprised as Debian uses Gnome 3 by default and Elementary is a different shell for Gnome 3 which is how Cinnamon started. I do wonder if the Elementary guys will have the same problem as the Mint guys with each release of Gnome 3 breaking backward compatibility.

With the 2.0 release, Cinnamon uses none of the Gnome code base so maybe Elementary will end up doing the same thing; if they haven't already.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    elementary OS is a decent distro, but lacks any real support. As in NO official forum.

Man, this is an old thread, LOL. I'm running Antergos GNOME now and lovin' it despite the daily updates. Guess I'd rather have too many updates then none at all.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Just Joined!
    I do like Elementary Luna, it does seem like a great distro because it is fast and pretty stable!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2