Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Elementary OS has brought out their Luna project and it looks pretty interesting. Saw the review today on the Linux Action Show on Jupiter Broadcasting on my Roku2 HD and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Elementary OS Anyone?

Elementary OS has brought out their Luna project and it looks pretty interesting. Saw the review today on the Linux Action Show on Jupiter Broadcasting on my Roku2 HD and it looked pretty cool. Seems like a decent enough Distro. It'll fit on a CD so I'm going to download it and make a live USB of it to see what all the fuss is about.
    Really don't think I'll be giving up my Mint15 MATE anytime soon, really happy with it, even more so then Ubuntu 12.04LTS but still, it'd be worth a look. Anyway, just wanted to pass this on to everyone just in case you'd not heard of it yet.
    Home | elementary OS

Taking E-OS for a test drive right now via Live USB and wow, even for a USB it's pretty fast. I like the dock(reminds me a lot of OS X) seems to have some pretty good features. For an easy to use OS where you just want to do basic stuff I think this would be awesome, even better and easier then Ubuntu 12.04LTS.
    It's going to be hard choice between Mint15 MATE or Elementary OS. One thing I love AND hate about Linux, there's so many great Distros to pick from that it's really hard to just choose one.

Ok, got Elementary OS "Luna" installed, runs super fast, love the "Plank" there name for the Dock at the bottom of the screen. Got all the little things installed that I like, Firefox, UNetbootin, VLC, Clementine, Hardinfo, Jupiter, Disk Utilities(yep, doesn't come with it, had to install it, a must for formatting my USB drives) and ClamTK. Looks pretty good so far, ya'll should really check it out if you want something fast on your older machines.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Shifted to the lounge as it's more a discussion than a techie thread.

I looked at ElementaryOS Luna when it was in late beta. It's not really my kind of interface but it is well implemented and I do like the goal of a distro that is as easy for your gran as it is for a geek. Interestingly it started life as an icon set which is a strange family tree.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

I know most Power Users won't care for it, way to simple but for me all I do is surf the web, check e-mail, hang out on forums and stuff. Not really into a lot of high intensity stuff like using GIMP or Editing Video so something easy to use like eOS Luna works great for me.
    Maybe someday when I've learned a lot more about Linux I might roll my own with Arch or the like but for now simple is good.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I know most Power Users won't care for it, way to simple but for me all I do is surf the web, check e-mail, hang out on forums and stuff. Not really into a lot of high intensity stuff like using GIMP or Editing Video so something easy to use like eOS Luna works great for me.
    Maybe someday when I've learned a lot more about Linux I might roll my own with Arch or the like but for now simple is good.
    I don't know that I'm a power-user, but I've used GIMP and done video editing on eOS with no problem at all...lightweight distros keep resources free for stuff like that! I think elementary OS is ideal for just about anyone, as is Manjaro. My only complaint about eOS, and it's pretty lame, really...I can only get 60 fps when playing Sauerbraten, whereas I can hit 200 with Manjaro. See, told you it was lame!

I've been using eOS for about 2 months now, and have been pretty happy with it. It's pretty fast on my slightly dated laptop. However, as it is a new distro, I am somewhat wary about long term support and future releases (I know they are currently working on Isis, but things have been relatively quiet since they released Luna). So, as a backup, I am running a Debian Wheezy VM, and depending on how well I adapt to it, I may switch to that as my primary OS.

Quote Originally Posted by HIldr View Post
    I've been using eOS for about 2 months now, and have been pretty happy with it. It's pretty fast on my slightly dated laptop. However, as it is a new distro, I am somewhat wary about long term support and future releases (I know they are currently working on Isis, but things have been relatively quiet since they released Luna). So, as a backup, I am running a Debian Wheezy VM, and depending on how well I adapt to it, I may switch to that as my primary OS.
    I know what you mean. There are so many distros that are launched with great enthusiasm, only to fizzle out within the first year. (or two) I'm using Manjaro now (another relatively new distro), as I like it a little better. They have a very solid community as well, and I suspect they'll go the distance.
    Hildr likes this.

I tried it for about a week but didn't like not having any control over the desktop. I like to be able to DO things on the desktop. Of course that's the same little "gripe" that I had with Pure Debian 7.2 and it's why I've been Rockin' Point Linux for the last couple months and I've been happy as a clam with it. I can actually do stuff on the desktop and it's still rock solid Debian 7 based.

My first reaction to the lack of desktop ability was, if I remember correctly, "What the...". But seeing as my Mac and Windows desktops are pretty lean, I still gave it a chance. I used to have the nasty habit of just dumping everything on the desktop to where it became an unholy mess, so I started minimizing desktop usage a couple of years ago. Now I dock things I need quick access to as far as applications go, and if I need a dumping ground, I use my home folder.

There is a way to enable desktop icons in eOS through dconf-tools and some file editing, but for me it's just not necessary. Though I do understand that some people's workflow requires desktop functionality. The two core settings of eOS that tend to put people off seem to be the disabled desktop and lack of minimize feature on windows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast