Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I'm adding another link . Different subject but relevant to the question of governments spying on us. I'm beginning to get paranoid about this....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I'm adding another link. Different subject but relevant to the question of governments spying on us. I'm beginning to get paranoid about this.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I'm adding another link. Different subject but relevant to the question of governments spying on us. I'm beginning to get paranoid about this.
    Be paranoid Hazel! Be VERY paranoid! To paraphrase the Moody Blues, thanks to the Great Computer, we are all magnetic ink!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Microsoft does not want anyone using their operating system without paying for it. Years ago I found that every program " called home " to Microsoft every time it was used. That's what made me seek an alternative in Linux!!
    I would not be shocked if most on-line ads contain spyware, malware, etc. that reveals information on every computer it reaches!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I was saddened that my lavabit account became useless. IMO the only real alternative we have is to start encrypting everything before sending it. Not just stuff we want to keep private, but everything. That way the target is far bigger. GnuPG is available for almost every platform, even Windows and Android, and we need to start using it. Everyone should generate a keypair, and post their public keys for use by whomever they need to communicate with. Using secure chat and secure email all the time, by everyone, would make all governments' snooping more difficult.

Linux Guru
    Using secure chat
    Which is why I convince family to use Jitsi instead of Skype if they wanna talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I was saddened that my lavabit account became useless. IMO the only real alternative we have is to start encrypting everything before sending it. Not just stuff we want to keep private, but everything. That way the target is far bigger. GnuPG is available for almost every platform, even Windows and Android, and we need to start using it. Everyone should generate a keypair, and post their public keys for use by whomever they need to communicate with. Using secure chat and secure email all the time, by everyone, would make all governments' snooping more difficult.
    So if the key to decrypt your communication is freely available on the internet, then how does this stop any government agency reading your mail? All you're doing is signing your email - this would be enough to show that nobody had interfered with your email (effectively providing a signing operation) but not actually preventing others from reading it.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    So if the key to decrypt your communication is freely available on the internet, then how does this stop any government agency reading your mail? All you're doing is signing your email - this would be enough to show that nobody had interfered with your email (effectively providing a signing operation) but not actually preventing others from reading it.

You encrypt it with the recipients public key and then only their private key can decrypt it.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    Everyone should generate a keypair, and post their public keys for use by whomever they need to communicate with. Using secure chat and secure email all the time, by everyone, would make all governments' snooping more difficult.
    The reason I don't use PGP is that those people I email privately (as distinct from mailing lists) have mostly never heard of it. Encryption only works in practice if both parties agree to use it or if everyone uses it automatically.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    The reason I don't use PGP is that those people I email privately (as distinct from mailing lists) have mostly never heard of it. Encryption only works in practice if both parties agree to use it or if everyone uses it automatically.
    Time for us to start teaching our family+friends+dogs to use secure email (PGP encrypted)...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

True, that's the catch. But what I'm advocating is to teach, and urge, people to use it. It's not a quick and easy project, but I think it's a worthwhile effort.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast