Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Well boys and girls I have some !@#$%^& living next door running Reaver on every ssid they can reach. They're cracked 3 of my routers in the last 90 days. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Google is not my friend - List of routers *W/O* WPS AT ALL!?

Well boys and girls I have some !@#$%^& living next door running Reaver on every ssid they can reach. They're cracked 3 of my routers in the last 90 days. I'm @#$%^&.

Anybody know of a list of routers that do not support WPS in any way shape or form; not at the hardware of firmware level, not even an offerd feature on the model?

Or how far back I need to go age-wise on amazon for an old unit that will do at least b/g if not n as well but does not support WPS?

And yes, I know how to turn WPS off and secure a router. The problem is that WPS leaks and a lot of units will "let you turn it off" and "tell you it's off" and still broadcast the retared PIN.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 09-07-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Frag it. I'm just gonna build a hardened AP from an Acer Aspire One. It's like everything else when it comes to 'puters any more: If I want to know *exactly* what's in it and have *full* control of it I gotta build it myself from scratch out of *nix!

Now to dive in and figure out just exactly how to make it all work!

I thought you had dd-wrt routers and that dd-wrt does not support wps ...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    If you have a buffalo router, that has a version of dd-wrt that does support wps. Apparently they insisted on it. Maybe other branded routers modify it to support it also.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

dd-wrt turned out to be unstable on the hardware I was using. The jerk craked that hardware with the original firmware. I reflashed it with several different builds of dd-wrt, but could not get it stable. So I trashed it, bought an el cheapo OTC model and he cracked it. (Looking at the specs on the box I thought it didn't support WPS.) Then bought a mid-line model and he cracked that one. (Looking at the specs on the box I thought it actually secured WPS.)

I've read interviews with the Reaver devs and they claim it can crack ~80% of wireless routers and I can't afford to keep burning money until I hit one of the ~20% it can't crack.

So now I have about 30 tabs open in FF and I'm hoping I have all the info I need to turn a netbook in to an AP and harden it.

But a router that simply does not support WPS would be cheaper and easier. Thing is I can't find one. Even the old re-built hunks of junk on amazon support it.

---------------
    Edit:

I've even looked at SMB grade wireless FW appliances and even they have WPS now!
    Last edited by Steven_G; 09-07-2013 at 10:10 PM.

If your looking for a replacement router and are stuggling to find something that does not support wps at all then this list may help ... at least you might get some idea if you can reliably switch off wps on the replacement unit.

Thankx for the link. But even that's a no-go. It's most recent tested version is 1.3 and Reaver is now in 1.4. Also I filtered the list and there was only one model listed that was completely invulnerable: The Fritz!Box7390. But according to the users on CNet it's a hunk of junk that can be permanently killed by a thunderstorm in the next town over.

I did find that a WGT624v4 will meet all my needs. It's old enough to not even have WPS, but new enough to support WPA2. It looks like there's a sweet spot in 2007 models, but I'll be danged if I can find something for sale from then. At least not stuff I can verify the *exact* model number. Most of the sellers on Amazon don't include that info.

Got it! Finally! Only took about 30 hours total of digging! I went with an Airlink 101 AR430W.

For anybody who runs in to a similar issue: You're looking for a "Super G" model from fall 2007. They're b/g/duplex g and old enough that WPS is not an option in the firmware or hardware but new enough to support modern ecncryption standards (WPA2 / PSK / TPIK / AES).

So now I can get back to fixing the wife's machine and use the netbook for a FW appliance! (One of these years I'll actually have my whole nertwork built out!)

You might check with local law enforcement. See if the laws where you live consider your neighbors actions as theft of service, since he is stealing your internet connection by accessing your router.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    You might check with local law enforcement. See if the laws where you live consider your neighbors actions as theft of service, since he is stealing your internet connection by accessing your router.
    If I could figure out who they were I'd probably return the favor in a much, much more nasty way: The threefold rule!

But, we have a mixed of blue collar (~60%) and techs (~40%) in our complex. I'm getting better, but I'm still not 100% on my backtracking / networking / infosec. The logs show entry from several ssids. I doubt they're all crakers. More likely they been captured and are bridges / nodes on whatever the cracker has setup. I'm not good enough yet to track back to the source. And I don't want to fry an innocent dupes system.

And there are so manny ssids in our complex that I can't even put an ssid to a neighbor. So I can't even let folks know for a fact they've been cracked. Besides, when I start talking that stuff most people eyes glaze over. So I pretty much just keep it to myself.

But as my skill set grows if I can identify the source with 100% certainty I will absolutely teach them that little script kiddes who play with fire can end up getting *burned*!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast