Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Do you have labrador dog ? Or you know someone who has this dog ? It looks like lovable dog. I'm planning to buy this breed, but I hear Its ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question labrador dog review

Do you have labrador dog ? Or you know someone who has this dog ?
    It looks like lovable dog. I'm planning to buy this breed, but I hear Its too friendly even with strangers :P Does this dog bark when some strangers enter my home ? or at-worst when thief tries to break into the house ?

I need some dog to safe guard my new house (At-least alert me when someone enter the house at night). Any comments or reviews/suggestions well.
    rokytnji likes this.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    Do you have labrador dog ? Or you know someone who has this dog ?
    It looks like lovable dog. I'm planning to buy this breed, but I hear Its too friendly even with strangers :P Does this dog bark when some strangers enter my home ? or at-worst when thief tries to break into the house ?

I need some dog to safe guard my new house (At-least alert me when someone enter the house at night). Any comments or reviews/suggestions well.
    Yes, labs are a soppy lot. Friendly, good with children, a bit hard to handle on a lead (they are great pullers). But if you want a guard dog, a terrier would be better. They give tongue at once when a stranger comes to your house. Get a Jack Russell like mine and you'll never get burgled.
    Lakshmipathi likes this.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

But if you want a guard dog, a terrier would be better.
    I agree with Hazel owning 5 dogs myself. The Little ones don't trust nobody but you. A side note. Rescue one instead of buying one from a breeder. My rescued dogs know the dark side of life and
    appreciate my rescuing them. All my dogs and cats are throw aways that were destined to be put down. All are neutered and have all of their shots.Money saved vs buying from a breeder.

My 1/2 terrier/chihuahua "Popeye" (that is him on the left playing with Minnie, Minnie is a Mini Doberman Pincher), would be a very scary dog if he was as big as "Momas" who is a Stafford Shire Terrier.

As you can see. My dogs eat well and guard my motorcycle shop with a vengeance. I pity the fool that tries to get past them. It would be like a piranha attack on land.

But any dog can be taught to guard ones gear/house and a Lab is a good breed IMO also. Just be ready to clean big dog piles.
    Lakshmipathi likes this.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Each dog is/can be an individual and exhibit different traits from what others may tell you about the breed or their own experiences.

My family and myself have had, at one time or another, Labs since before they were so popular (late 60's), we used to raise and sell them for their primary purpose of retrieving.

They make fine guard dogs and are wary of strangers and for the most part very intelligent and intuitive on what a strangers intentions maybe. We used to have to restrain the dogs if my mom was home alone and a repairman expected to come by to the house. They are very vocal with strangers.

But, as mentioned, though many have them as house dogs, they are bred to hunt and love it, expect to spend a lot of time playing with and even better, working these dogs. If they get bored they can destroy your house entertaining themselves and/or break out of almost any yard or pen.

Also have had 1/2 terrier/chihuahua dogs (before and during when we had the Labs) they were all indeed very protective and vocal, though small. Even more vocal and protective was a Spitz.

To suffice, many breeds make good guard dogs, especially with proper training. Take into consideration your environment and the time available to spend with the dog. Most breeds are attention hogs, I think the AKC or something like that has a compatibility test. FOUND ONE HERE

When I was young and we first started training Labs, I went to school to learn how to train dogs, much better than having your dog trained by someone else.

I have NO dogs at the moment being relegated to live in an apartment for the time being. Though my last two dogs were Boxers, definitely not the dogs for apartment life, but, very much great guard dogs and very trainable and smart.
    Lakshmipathi likes this.

I've had a black lab, and my brother-in-law has had 2 yellow labs. All three dogs were friendly and good with children, but would raise their hackles and growl at someone if they didn't trust them. As has been pointed out, they leave big piles and need lots of exercise.
    Lakshmipathi likes this.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Yes,Hazel I heard that lab are good with Kids- that's one the reason I want to go with Lab. Jack Russell looks cute and good dog. But the problem I see dogs like Jack Russell is not a common here so its pretty expensive to buy .
    Lab are little bit less expensive compared other breeds.

When I was young and we first started training Labs, I went to school to learn how to train dogs, much better than having your dog trained by someone else
    Cool slw210,thanks for the link too

They make fine guard dogs and are wary of strangers and for the most part very intelligent and intuitive on what a strangers intentions maybe. We used to have to restrain the dogs if my mom was home alone and a repairman expected to come by to the house. They are very vocal with strangers
    That's one of very rare good thing I hear about labs :P

I've had a black lab, and my brother-in-law has had 2 yellow labs. All three dogs were friendly and good with children, but would raise their hackles and growl at someone if they didn't trust them.
    That's pretty impressive MASONTX. So some labs do show
    some aggression against stranger

rokytnji,your dogs looks cute

Rescue one instead of buying one from a breeder. My rescued dogs know the dark side of life and
    appreciate my rescuing them. All my dogs and cats are throw aways that were destined to be put down. All are neutered and have all of their shots.Money saved vs buying from a breeder.
    Completely agree with you on rescued dogs. The breeds I'm
    looking for is mostly not available with them. I'm following local dog rescue group Facebook post closely
    hoping for a miracle!
    Last edited by Lakshmipathi; 10-02-2013 at 07:24 AM.
    rokytnji likes this.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Labs are great. They can be quite the handful on a leash thanks to their size. But they are a very intelligent breed.
    Take some time to train them while they are young. Make sure that everyone in the family takes part in it, too! You'll end up with a loyal and obedient friend.
    Lakshmipathi likes this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

There are very few dog breeds that will be complete trouble - as many others above say, Labradors are a really good choice if you have a family. As far as barking goes, they're one of the smarter breeds too, so you can train them. We have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and she's great until anyone opens the front door or puts anything through the letter box. Then she likes to bark. That's probably more than you need...

It's a shame you can't download lots of dog breeds and give them a go until you find one you're happy with. And don't forget, you don't have to use the lead it comes with, you can install your own lead
    Lakshmipathi likes this.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just wanted to add that I agree with Roky about rescue dogs. Check your local pound and see if they have a lab or lab mix, and you will have a grateful pal.
    Lakshmipathi likes this.
    Registered Linux user #526930

I would also like to issue a small warning about Labs, that I haven't seen mentioned, Watch Out for the Tail, I one Lab that felt like getting hit with a big stick.

If you want a very intimidating yet docile dog and can afford the feed, check into a Mastiff or a Great Dane. I have a sister and niece that raise and show Great Danes, nothing more intimidating than walking into a house and seeing a Great Dane staring back.

One of my dads best dogs was a rescued part Lab and I don't know what else, but he was nearly as big as an English Mastiff, but looked all Lab. He was very intimidating and protective.
    Lakshmipathi likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast