Find the answer to your Linux question:
Something weird happened yesterday. I was using the old Scenic upstairs (which is now my print server) and the desktop went haywire. Nothing that I launched from the menu or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

A gremlin in my computer

Something weird happened yesterday. I was using the old Scenic upstairs (which is now my print server) and the desktop went haywire. Nothing that I launched from the menu or icons appeared onscreen, although ps -ax showed that the programs were running. The only way I could get an xterm to display was to put it into the ~/.xsessions script. And yet there was nothing odd in the boot log or in Xorg's log. No error messages from programs either except a few odd ones from vim.

I couldn't investigate further because I had an evening appointment so I shut down. Today when I tried again, everything was normal. Has anyone else ever seen anything like that?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Only when I've fed it after midnight! Which by the way never made sense to me.... 11PM is after midnight isn't it?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Only when I've fed it after midnight! Which by the way never made sense to me.... 11PM is after midnight isn't it?
    Typical male geek! Sitting up till 11 o'clock at night, playing with your computer. I'm always in bed by then.

I've been racking my brains thinking what could cause behaviour like that. It has to be linked to xorg somehow but why were there no error messages? And it didn't affect all programs equally: xv came up normally but not gv, gvim or xterm. I hate it when computers behave irrationally.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com