Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By elija
Who would have saw this coming? I think it's pretty cool. My inner geek is flexing his muscles. Just another reason everyone should use Linux: It's good enough for the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux Powered Warships?

Who would have saw this coming? I think it's pretty cool. My inner geek is flexing his muscles.
    Just another reason everyone should use Linux: It's good enough for the US Navy!

When the USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000) puts to sea later this year, it will be different from any other ship in the Navy's fleet in many ways. The $3.5 billon ship is designed for stealth, survivability, and firepower, and it's packed with advanced technology. And at the heart of its operations is a virtual data center powered by off-the-shelf server hardware, various flavors of Linux, and over 6 million lines of software code.
    Couldn't resist sharing this part either. har har har
    Perhaps it's appropriate that the first commanding officer of the Zumwalt will be Captain James Kirk (yes, that's actually his name). But considering how heavily the ship leans on its computer networks, maybe they should look for a chief engineer named Vint Cerf.
    The Navy?s newest warship is powered by Linux | Ars Technica
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I hope he captained the Enterprise before it was retired!

And Linux / FOSS powered regional government. It's getting to be everywhere.
    MikeTbob likes this.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ars Technica
    Perhaps it's appropriate that the first commanding officer of the Zumwalt ...
    or, as it will be known henceforth, the USS Enterprise.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Couldn't resist sharing this part either. har har har
    Perhaps it's appropriate that the first commanding officer of the Zumwalt will be Captain James Kirk (yes, that's actually his name). But considering how heavily the ship leans on its computer networks, maybe they should look for a chief engineer named Vint Cerf.
    That's pretty frightening - does that US ship pull close to shore often, whereupon the captain and first officer whizz ashore by speedboat and get involved in a fight where the captain captain gets his shirt ripped, snogs some odd-looking woman, and then they resolve some massive issue by breaking the rules? Or have to be rescued by the Chief Engineer and the ships doctor in a completely different speedboat?

I just wondered, like...
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Guru
    I hope Linux and associated circuits are sheilded from EMP and Rail Guns.

"Aye, the haggis is in the fire for sure."